[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults Update - Going Virtual!!

dcohen at hevanet.com dcohen at hevanet.com
Sat Jul 25 16:38:58 PDT 2020

Civics for Adults Update, July 25, 2020

Civics for Adults is virtual!

Workshops will be available for presentation online! The format is a PPT

presentation/lecture of one+ hour, followed by a question/discussion time.

The first virtual workshop - for Klamath Falls - went wonderfully. The
Library Director wrote, "Donna's presentation was well prepared. She was
neutral and kept an unbiased attitude while presenting the subject matter.
She handled the discussion afterward with fairness and professionalism.  The
attendees were very pleased with the workshop and the resource materials
that she presented."

A downloadable descriptive flyer is available on my website.

 <https://cdn-cms.f-static.net/uploads/2516289/normal_5ef7d00a31df4.pdf>
https://cdn-cms.f-static.net/uploads/2516289/normal_5ef7d00a31df4.pdf

You can now register for the first of the four workshops via Hillsboro:

Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda, on Sunday, August 3.

Since there will be a limit, please, only register if you think you can
participate and, if you register, please cancel if you find you can't make
it.

 <https://wccls.bibliocommons.com/events/5ee79bca65fbe3450068e0b5>
https://wccls.bibliocommons.com/events/5ee79bca65fbe3450068e0b5

Workshops will be run on subsequent Sundays in August. Open registration for
each workshop will be available about two weeks in advance, so you may be
able to register for Aug 9, Elections and Campaign Finance, now!

Workshops

[Facebook posts below!]

Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda

Are you overwhelmed with messages from politicians, news sources and other
media? Distinguish truth from fiction using real-world examples. Become your
own "factchecker"! Also, how to find accurate information.

"Well organized, excellent information!"

"This was fun and informative! Thank you so much!"

"Loved it...well-rounded, wide array of examples!"

Citizen Activism 101-Making Change Happen

Have a concern about local, state or federal issues? Learn about strategies
for change, and more: Examples of successful advocacy; Brief historical
perspective; Choosing your battles; What matters to you?; Who makes the
rules?; Tools for change; "Lobbying"; "Tracking" legislation; providing
"testimony".

"ACTIONABLE!"

"Great presenter...should be a day conference!"

"Very practical information"

The Constitution - Fulfilling Democracy's Promise?

Let's look at the Constitution's creation and its structural limitations,
and trace major changes to its interpretation. We puncture some myths and
develop a perspective that helps evaluate its meaning more thoughtfully.

 "Every citizen should take this serious look at our Constitution."

"Good level of history and contemporary political ideas"

Beyond Voting: Elections and Campaign Financing

This is a unique workshop covering topics related to our electoral systems
and presenting specific ideas for bi-partisan civic/political engagement.
Topics include: Voting as Constitutional right(?), Voting Security,
Alternative Systems, Redistricting, Electoral College, Campaign Financing,
Tracking Money/Campaign Finance Databases, Public Financing of Elections

"...solid information - This is what all Americans need to know."

"I consider myself a well-informed citizen but I learned a great deal of new
information"

"You are a great teacher, Donna."

 Facebook posts

Working on my Constitution workshop. Taking a hard look at what
"representation" means for our government.

Hmm.... is there anything out-of-kilter here?

This image is from Fault Lines in the Constitution: The Framers, Their
Fights, and the Flaws that Affect Us Today, by Levinson.

A related report:

Fixing the Senate: Equitable and Full Representation for the 21st Century.
Rand Corp. report.
https://rooseveltinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/RI_Fixing-The-Sena
te_report-201903-1.pdf

If you would like to see an independent redistricting commission in Oregon -
a multi-partisan group which draws Congressional and state legislative
districts after each decennial Census [rather than having the dominant party
do so]- then you might want to consider signing the petition to put it on
the ballot for November.

The state has given signature gathering some extra time this year, due to
COVID and having to reach out to people primarily electronically, rather
than in person. The effort now has 'til August 1st. Here's where to go...

https://www.peoplenotpoliticiansoregon.com/sign-the-petition/

There is currently an updated Voting Rights Act which has passed the House,
and is stalled in the Senate. It would correct the decimation of the
"preclearance" provision of the original 1965 Voting Rights Act. that the
Supreme Court struck down in 2013. That provision required states/localities
that had shown racial discrimination in election laws to have the federal
government evaluate any changes contemplated by those jurisdictions for
their racial impact.

As soon as the Supreme Court struck down preclearance, many
states/localities immediately began to reinstitute discriminatory practices.
Although cases have negated many/most of those laws, it is like playing
"whack-a-mole" and takes time to see them through the courts - during which
voting rights can be lost.

We need a revision to the Voting Rights Act that will allow again for
preclearance. Unfortunate, but necessary.

Election Experts Warn of November Disaster. Pew Center. Good article
captures the issues.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2020/07/0
8/election-experts-warn-of-november-disaster

Congress must help states avoid a perfect storm looming over November
Election. Newsweek.

Good article from bipartisan perspective.

https://www.newsweek.com/congress-must-help-states-avoid-perfect-storm-loomi
ng-over-november-election-opinion-1510967

Oregon's vote-by-mail system gets more TV attention, on '60 Minutes'.
6/29/2020
<https://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/2020/06/oregons-vote-by-mail-syste
m-gets-more-tv-attention-on-60-minutes.html?fbclid=IwAR3emanymotlIDIaK5hj-R3
0eeyVpAty6a_tSDzvqWZSHKsPZats45bvBZ8>
https://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/2020/06/oregons-vote-by-mail-system
-gets-more-tv-attention-on-60-minutes.html?fbclid=IwAR3emanymotlIDIaK5hj-R30
eeyVpAty6a_tSDzvqWZSHKsPZats45bvBZ8

Be well,

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcohen at hevanet.com <mailto:dcohen at hevanet.com>

Civics for Adults - and Others - Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and
Inspire Political Engagement

Webpage www.civicthinker.info <http://www.civicthinker.info>

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

"My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not
right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!" Rep. John Lewis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY