[Libs-Or] RFID question

Margaret Alexander malexan4 at uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 27 11:11:45 PDT 2020

Hi Sami,

When I was at Eugene Public, we did a couple of things to cope with metallic covers of items, or with items made of metal, such as a walker we loaned out for use in the library.  The metallic covers got a brightly highlighted label on them that indicated to patrons and staff that the item needed special handling at check-out and return.  The metallic items had a tag with a zip-tie or other separated connector, so that the tag could be scanned without being blocked by the metallic content of the item.

In either case, the security gates could not easily read the theft bits, necessarily.  I believe the staff tended to hand the items around the gates to the patron to allow them to borrow the items and not realize the tags probably wouldn't set off the gate.

Best,
Margaret Alexander
Core Systems Librarian
University of Oregon Libraries