[Libs-Or] State Library Newsletter: Letter to Libraries Online (June 2020)

Jerry Curry jerry.w.curry at state.or.us
Tue Jun 2 10:57:26 PDT 2020

View this email in your browser<https://mailchi.mp/7f16c40a260e/state-library-newsletter-letter-to-libraries-online-december-1591929?e=0d2401e925>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/78df1b60-ce57-44e2-bf2e-eeeca7580653.jpg]

Letters to Libraries Online: News from the State Library of Oregon
Volume 30, Issue 06 - June 2020

State Library News

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/cf40d267-8a5c-4595-955f-7948005e4b9b.png]

Library Support and Development Services

FY2020 LSTA Grant Awards

In April, the State Library Board approved all recommendations made by the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) Advisory Council and State Library staff regarding FY2020 LSTA Grants.

Competitive Grants Awarded
Organization Name

Project Name

Amount Awarded

Harney County Library

Honor Our Past, Embrace Our Future

 $ 40,766.00

Lewis & Clark College

Vietnamese Portland: History, Community, Memory

 $ 55,185.00

Linn-Benton Community College

Linn Benton Community Literacy Partnership

 $ 87,235.30

Mt Angel Public Library

Laptop Lab To Go

 $ 14,026.24

Pacific University

Revealing the Library’s Hidden Curriculum: Transparent Design in Information Literacy

 $ 18,073.80

Roseburg Public Library

Roseburg Public Library STEAM Programming

 $ 24,757.14

Toledo Public Library

A Room for Our Tomorrows

 $ 11,610.00

University of Oregon Libraries

Creating Pathways to Oregon Historic Landscape Architectural Collections

 $ 54,614.00

Willamette University

The Mark O. Hatfield Congressional Legislative Series: A Window into 20th Century American Politics

 $ 88,656.75

Total Amount Awarded:

$ 394,924.23

LSTA+ODNP Grants Awarded
Organization Name

Project (Publication) Name(s)

Amount Awarded

Tillamook County Library

Tillamook Headlight

$4,769.70

Harney County Library

Harney Valley Items; East Oregon Herald; The Times-Herald

$4,134.00

Yamhill County Historical Society

Lafayette Courier, Oregon Register, Westside Telephone, Telephone Register, Yamhill County Reporter

$4,901.00

North Santiam Historical Society

Mill City Enterprise

$8,764.60

Total Amount Awarded:

$ 22,569.30

More information about these grants and projects will be posted soon to the State Library of Oregon’s website. If you have questions, please contact us at lsta.grants at state.or.us<mailto:lsta.grants at state.or.us>.

New Members Selected for the
Statewide Database Licensing Advisory Committee

The LSTA Advisory Council has selected the following new members to the Statewide Database Licensing Advisory Committee<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=fd429962de&e=0d2401e925> (SDLAC). Their terms will run from July 1, 2020-June 30, 2023.

Position #1, Public library serving less than 25,000
Kip Roberson, Cook Memorial Library (La Grande)

Position #2, Academic library from an Oregon public academic institution
Margarita Zamora Saunders, Oregon State University

Position #3, School Library drawn from OASL Membership
Carrie Light, Lake Oswego School District

The State Library would like to thank outgoing members of the SDLAC for their service: Brenda Herren-Kenaga, Karen Kunz, and Jean Gritter.  Their terms will end June 30, 2020.  Jennifer Croft from Bandon Public Library will serve as SDLAC Chair for the upcoming year.

Round Two: Additional Opportunity for COVID-19
Response Mini-Grants!

We’re pleased to announce an additional round of funding will be available from Oregon's FFY2019 LSTA allotment for COVID-19 response. All entities outlined below are eligible to apply, except for those which have already been awarded a mini-grant during the first round. Libraries with eligible and appropriate projects may choose which amount best suits their needs from the following: $500, $1,500 or $3,000.

Applications will open at 8am, Monday, June 8, 2020, to the following entities:

● the nine Federally recognized tribes associated with the State of Oregon
● K-12 schools with free and reduced lunch rates of 35% and higher (according to 2018-19 ODE At-A-Glance School Profiles<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=a62822481c&e=0d2401e925>) - (maximum of 5 schools per district)
● Special libraries with 501(c)3 nonprofit status in the state of Oregon
● All legally established public libraries in Oregon
● All academic libraries at nonprofit colleges and universities in Oregon

Grants for projects with appropriate and allowable costs will be awarded on a rolling basis, limited to one grant per library/library system, school, or tribe until the funds have been awarded. All funds must be spent by August 31, 2020. For more information and instructions on how to apply, please visit our COVID-19 Response Grants page<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=e28646281d&e=0d2401e925>.

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/c8a4b54c-b66d-4e42-9a78-249a818f9eb7.png]<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=c7d47a33f3&e=0d2401e925>

Government Information and Library Services

Women's Suffrage & Oregon's Voters' Pamphlet

With the Oregon primary election recently behind us, it’s a good time to reflect on an important election from the past.

On November 5, 1912, after several previous attempts, Oregon voted to extend the right to vote to women.

Proponents argued that denying women the right to vote damaged democracy, and pointed out that denial of voting rights had historically been used to silence parts of the population.  Opponents argued that Oregonians had already resoundingly defeated suffrage for women, and that suffrage denied the differences between men and women: “Men and women are widely apart in functions and in possibilities they cannot be made equal by exterior devices like trousers, ballots, the study of Greek.”

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/a7d866ca-005f-45b8-bf81-8d9c2ab89730.jpg]

You can read all the arguments for and against in the Voters’ Pamphlet.<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=e69b84bd07&e=0d2401e925>  Be sure to explore other elections, both historic and modern, in our Voters’ Pamphlets Digital Collection<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=0152ce9768&e=0d2401e925>.

Staff Digitize Historic Normal School Documents

With a very large Oregon Documents Collection to digitize, we always appreciate requests from patrons to help us prioritize our work. Last October we had a researcher visit from Canada who was working on a dissertation about the Oregon normal schools. The normal schools were focused on preparing teachers for public and private elementary and secondary schools. Several of the schools went on to become universities such as Western Oregon University and Southern Oregon University. The focus of the research was on the early time period of the schools when they were state-funded and overseen by the Oregon Board of Regents of Normal Schools with locations in Monmouth, Ashland, and Weston.

To help the researcher access the materials he needed after returning to Canada, we prioritized digitizing these older Oregon documents.

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/a4ab2d6f-49c2-45c4-a98c-475fea0c00bc.jpg]

One hundred forty-five items were added to the collection, ranging from 1883 to 1932 and including yearbooks, catalogs, bulletins, and more!  We collaborated with Western Oregon University on the yearbooks from the Western Oregon Normal School, now Western Oregon University, to fill in our run and not duplicate digitization efforts.

The equipment we used during the scanning process were the Zeutschel OS15000 Comfort, the Plustek OpticPro A320L, and the Fujitsu fi-7260 PaperStream. We cleaned up the OCR (Optical Character Recognition) with ABBYY FineReader which made the items full-text searchable. Explore the digitized items<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=f2e7313c93&e=0d2401e925>.

Please let us know if you are helping a patron and they would like access to a print Oregon document that isn’t digitized yet. We would love to collaborate to help patrons access Oregon documents that they need, and in the process, help prioritize digitizing this huge collection.

Contact Heather Pitts<mailto:heather.pitts at state.or.us> (Cataloging Services and Digital Collections Librarian) if you have any suggestions!

Contacts

Library Support and Development Services:
Ferol Weyand, Darci Hanning, Jennifer Maurer, Ross Fuqua, Tamara Ottum, Arlene Weible, Susan Westin, Greta Bergquist
Contact information

Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library Manager:
Elke Bruton, 503-378-5455

Government Information and Library Services Manager:
Caren Agata, 503-378-5030

State Librarian:
Jennifer Patterson, 503-378-4367

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the State Library of Oregon.

Mission
The State Library of Oregon cultivates, preserves, and delivers library and information services to foster lifelong learning and community engagement.

Our mailing address is:
State Library of Oregon, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
Copyright (c)2019, All rights reserved.

State Library of Oregon * 250 Winter St NE * Salem, OR 97301-3929 * USA

Jerry Curry
Reference Librarian/eClips Editor<https://statelibraryeclips.wordpress.com/>
jerry.w.curry at state.or.us<mailto:jerry.w.curry at state.or.us>
Phone 503-378-5008| www.oregon.gov/osl<http://www.oregon.gov/osl>