[Libs-Or] OBOB Program Modifications for 2020-2021

Korie Jones Buerkle korie.buerkle at newbergoregon.gov
Mon Jun 15 15:59:21 PDT 2020

The OBOB Executive Board met on Saturday and felt we needed to modify the program now for the upcoming year. We will have more details in July after our next board meeting. I'm working on what this might look like for my public library as well, but we are starting with OBOB Book Club this summer. Please let me know if you have any questions:

The Oregon Battle of the Book’s mission is to encourage and recognize
students who enjoy reading, to broaden reading interests, to increase
reading comprehension, promote academic excellence, and to promote
cooperative learning and teamwork among students.
OBOB considers the health and safety of our students, volunteers,
educators, communities, and families to be a top priority. Due to
COVID-19 and to comply with the guidance of the Oregon Health
Authority and Oregon Department of Education, the OBOB Executive
Board is providing the following services:

 The 2020-21 Title Lists for Elementary, Middle School, and High
School levels.
 OBOB e-book and audio book titles for Overdrive for expanded
access to these titles through public libraries.
 Registration for schools and public libraries opens on September
1, 2020 with a reduced registration fee.
 Registration will give access to local/school-level competition
questions. Practice questions are not provided by OBOB.
 Registered schools and public libraries may apply for Book Grants
on September 1, 2020.

Unfortunately, OBOB is not able to host State and Regional
competitions for 2020-21. The Executive Board is meeting again in July
to help clarify any questions or concerns about these modifications.
Updates will be provided through the OBOB website
(www.oregonbattleofthebooks.org), the OBOB Newsletter
(https://www.oregonbattleofthebooks.org/subscribe-to-our-
newsletter/), and the OBOB Facebook Group.

Korie Jones Buerkle
Children's Librarian | Assistant Library Director
Work Cell: 971-281-1796
Newberg Public Library
(She, her, hers)