[Libs-Or] statement on racial justice

Jennifer Patterson Jennifer.L.Patterson at state.or.us
Mon Jun 15 17:04:24 PDT 2020

The State Library of Oregon is committed to advancing racial justice and integrating equity, diversity, and inclusion principles into our daily work and decision-making. Guided by our newly adopted vision, mission, and values<https://www.oregon.gov/library/operations/Pages/Mission-Values.aspx>, State Library staff will utilize the State of Oregon Equity Framework<https://www.oregon.gov/gov/policy/Documents/EquityFrameworkCovid19_2020.pdf> and develop an equity lens to assess and improve our policies and services to better serve communities that experience racial disparity. Libraries are uniquely positioned to fight social inequity and racism through free and open access to resources, programs, and services for all. The State Library commends the work of libraries across the state to reach marginalized communities, create welcoming and inclusive environments, and respond to community needs. We are committed to providing resources and support to libraries in doing this important work and look forward to engaging with libraries in the coming months to assess needs and develop strategies to advance racial justice.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly with any questions, thoughts, or ideas. Thank you!

Jennifer

Jennifer Patterson
State Librarian
jennifer.l.patterson at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.l.patterson at state.or.us>