[Libs-Or] OLA Executive Board and IFC joint recommendation on contract tracing

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 12:08:52 PDT 2020

I think the work all of you have done on this is great. You may not know
that Kirsten has submitted a resolution to ALA Council similar to this
statement. Guess we’ll see whether or not the resolution is approved but
the ALA IFC and Intellectual Freedom office really seem to be on board with
these concepts.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 9:22 AM Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney <
kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org> wrote:

> Privacy is fundamental to library ethics and intellectual freedom. The
> Governor’s office has advised businesses and other establishments to
> consider collecting customer information to assist with contact tracing.
> However, the Oregon Library Association Intellectual Freedom Committee and
> the Oregon Library Association Executive Board encourage libraries to adopt
> policies consistent with libraries’ core values and to avoid collecting
> this information. Collecting data for non-library purposes, including
> contact tracing, contradicts professional values and may damage the
> trusting relationships patrons have with their community libraries.
>
> The Library Bill of Rights, adopted by the American Library Association
> (ALA) in 1939 states that “[a]ll people, regardless of origin, age,
> background, or views, possess a right to privacy and confidentiality in
> their library use.” Article III of the Library Code of Ethics, also adopted
> by ALA in 1939, specifies that it is the library’s responsibility to
> “protect each library user's right to privacy and confidentiality with
> respect to information sought or received and resources consulted,
> borrowed, acquired, or transmitted.” Further elaboration of these
> statements, provided in ALA’s “Privacy: An Interpretation of the Library
> Bill of Rights” (Revised 2019), and “Privacy and Confidentiality: Library
> Core Values” (Revised 2017), emphasize the critical role that privacy and
> confidentiality play in protecting intellectual freedom. The latter
> document affirms that “lack of privacy and confidentiality chills people’s
> choices, thereby suppressing access to ideas. The possibility of
> surveillance, whether direct or through access to records of speech,
> research and exploration, undermines a democratic society.”
>
> Further, in relation specifically to contact tracing, the ALA Office of
> Intellectual Freedom states:
>
> “Collection and sharing of information about library users for purposes
> other than the delivery of library resources, services, and programming —
> such as information collected for contact tracing — is inconsistent with
> that mission and may violate laws protecting user privacy if done without
> the full and informed consent of the library user. In all cases, access to,
> and delivery of, library resources and services should not be conditioned
> on the user’s consent to the collection and use of their information for
> contact tracing or other purposes unrelated to library service.” – from “Protecting
> Privacy in a Pandemic: A Resource Guide"
> <https://chooseprivacyeveryday.org/protecting-privacy-in-a-pandemic-resource-guide/>
> (May 8, 2020)
>
> Finally, libraries and their governing bodies should view all potential
> policies and procedures through the lens of equity, and recognize that data
> collection creates disproportionate barriers for members of marginalized
> communities, and could erode hard-earned community trust.

> [...]
*Diedre Conkling*
*diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

“If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude.”―Maya Angelou