[Libs-Or] Women's History Month in Southern Oregon

Maureen Battistella mbattistellaor at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 13:55:09 PST 2020

Southern Oregon is rising up this month to celebrate the Year of the Woman
and the Centennial of Suffrage! Join us if you can at any of the many
activities our partners have organized! Full line up at
www.StoriesofSouthernOregon.com

Tonight, 3/6 at SOU, Tangren Alexander's poignant doll house, Country Dykes
will be exhibited at the HerStory Art Exhibit along with animated vingnettes
from her suffrage doll house. Tangren has been a link between Southern
Oregon University and Southern Oregon women's separatist communities for
more than 40 years and is an elder with the Southern Oregon Writers' Group,
Gourmet Society and Chorus.

Sunday, 3/15 at the Ashland Public Library, A Day of History! With sessions
on the 1970s and 1980s HerStory with Rosemary Dunn Dalton and Sue Lopez,
Women in Politics with Ashland's first and only woman mayor Cathy Shaw and
also Barbara Klein JCLWV and Esperanza Tervalon-Garrett with Dancing Heart.
We'll also showcase young women from 13 years old to 20 years old who are
our leaders of tomorrow -- learn about their passions, their demands for
social justice, their skill and good will on this journey we share together.
SOU President Linda Schott will open the day and Jeanine Grizzard's one
person show, Panhurst will finish it up.

Wednesday, 3/18 at Dunbar Farms and Rocky Knoll Vineyards, In Her Words an
Evening of Wine and Women's Poetry featuring five** women's poetry groups,
wonderful wine and showcasing the poetry of Rosemary Dunn Dalton who began
SOU's Women in Transition program at SOU as a student in 1975 and continued
her good work to found Dunn House, Jackson County's first domestic violence
center.

And there's so much more to enjoy, appreciate and celebrate! Full details at
www.StoriesofSouthernOregon.com along with links to video oral histories
from some of the women who changed our world here in Southern Oregon back in
the day, not so long ago.

Thanks to the Oregon Heritage Commission for funding in support of these
events, and the advocacy of the Ashland Branch American Association of
University Women, Southern Oregon University and Jackson County Library
Service.

Maureen.

Maureen Flanagan Battistella
Southern Oregon University Sociology Anthropology
Ashland, OR 97520
TA117 541-552-0743