[Libs-Or] Free webinar this Thursday on Defending Titles About Health, Sex, and Growing Up

Buzzy Nielsen Bnielsen at crooklib.org
Tue May 5 13:59:45 PDT 2020

Hi folks,

Please forgive my logrolling here, but the amazing Jackie Mills from the Mount Angel Public Library and I are going to be panelists for a FREE webinar coming up this Thursday from the ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom.

Perhaps even more excitingly, we'll be joined by Cory Silverberg, co-author of the ALA Stonewall Honor Book Sex Is a Funny Word (with Fiona Smyth) and Mariko Tamaki, co-creator of the graphic novels This One Summer (with Jillian Tamaki) and Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me (with Rosemary Valero-O’Connell.

Banned Books Uncensored: Health, Sex, & Growing Up
Thursday, May 7, 11.00a-12.00p PDT
https://www.oif.ala.org/oif/?p=20669

If you have not heard Jackie's story of the seven (!!) book challenges she received in the span of a few months, it is not to be missed. All of the challenged materials were about health & sexuality, and Jackie did a fantastic job defending the books' inclusion in her library's collection.

Cheers!

Buzzy Nielsen, MPP, MSI
Director of Library Services
Crook County Library
175 NW Meadow Lakes Dr.
Prineville, OR 97754
541-447-7978 x314
http://crooklib.org
Pronouns: he/him

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee or it appears from the context or otherwise that you have received this e-mail in error, please advise me immediately by reply e-mail, keep the contents confidential, and immediately delete the message and any attachments from your system.