[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Author Showcase | Jennifer Maurer | State of School Libraries in Oregon: Challenges and Successes

OLA Communications Committee olacommunications at olaweb.org
Thu Oct 22 12:09:39 PDT 2020

Jennifer Maurer is the School Library Consultant at the State Library of
Oregon. Please download and read her latest article, “State of School
Libraries in Oregon: Challenges and Successes,” here:
http://journals3.library.oregonstate.edu/olaq/article/view/vol26_iss2_5
<http://journals3.library.oregonstate.edu/olaq/article/view/vol26_iss2_5%20>

>From Jennifer’s article, “Much of the support I provide comes in the form
of consulting as needs arise. As one example, I helped a paraprofessional
running a library on her own navigate a situation in which her principal
proposed a new policy charging a committee with approving all library book
orders. Another example is when controversy arose around an OBOB title,
George. A few administrators pulled the book about a transgender student
from their library collections and forbade their OBOB groups from reading
it (Brown, 2019). In response, I organized meetings with ODE staff, the
Oregon Intellectual Freedom Committee and ALA office, and others which
culminated in coordinating a webinar about intellectual freedom best
practices for school administrators.

Jennifer Maurer is the School Library Consultant at the State Library of
Oregon, where her duties include general consulting and working with OSLIS
and the K-12 aspect of the statewide databases. Previously, Jen worked with
the bookmobile program at the Salem Public Library and was a teacher and a
school librarian for a dozen years, split between Texas and Oregon. She
enjoys birdwatching and exploring waterfalls.

Thank you,
Charles Wood
OLA Quarterly Coordinator