[Libs-Or] OLA Statement in Response to Executive Order 13950

Marci Jenkins Marci.Jenkins at mcminnvilleoregon.gov
Sat Oct 31 12:22:44 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

I am so thankful for the powerful statements ALA, OLA, Oregon State Library and other groups connected to our profession have released in response to Executive Order 13950.  As the chair of the OLA EDI Anti-Racism Special Committee, I have been receiving feedback from many colleagues displaying their excitement and gratitude for these statements.

The color blindness narrative from this Executive Order does not make BIPOC feel embraced, does not protect BIPOC from persecution, and does not stop oppression from happening at our workplace.

Preventing professionals from acquiring knowledge is a disservice to our society and a desperate measure to perpetuate structural and institutional racism.

Thank you ALA, OLA, Oregon State Library and all other groups within our profession for professing your opposition to this Executive Order.

Sincerely,

Marci Ramiro-Jenkins

“Listening to justified anger from the oppressed even when it triggers fragility in yourself.
Is just as important as the vote you cast. Sit with that discomfort. It’s growth”- Red Horn Woman