[Libs-Or] Support of Oregon Wildfire Relief

OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Sat Sep 12 11:38:36 PDT 2020

Dear OLA Members and Oregon library community:

Communications are coming in from all over the United States from other
Library Associations and libraries in general offering support in light of
the Oregon Wildfires.  The following message has been prepared and posted
to the OLA home page for information on what and where that support may be
directed.  There will certainly be more to come as assessment and damage
and needs become more known.  Here is that message.

--------------------------

Supporting Oregon Wildfire Relief

The Oregon Library Association would like to extend our thanks to everyone
who has reached out to offer assistance to Oregon libraries impacted by the
devastating wildfires in our state. Given the ongoing and widespread nature
of this disaster, it will take time to assess the damage and needs as
libraries and their staff recover from these events. We are currently
investigating options for setting up relief funding. If you know of
specific needs of impacted libraries, please share that information with us
to help us plan for supporting our colleagues.

We do know that library workers across the state have been forced to
evacuate and, in some cases, have lost their homes. If you want to do
something to help now, please support organizations that are providing
assistance to evacuees across the state. Here are a few suggestions:

Red Cross
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/c4c0c8ab-d72c-466e-896f-12073f80e6c0/1>
-
(Use “Western Fires” option to support efforts across the region)

Oregon Community Foundation has prepared a page Supporting Oregon Wildfire
Relief for various geographical regions:
https://oregoncf.org/news/support-oregon-wildfire-relief
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/c4c0c8ab-d72c-466e-896f-12073f80e6c0/2>

Even as they have been evacuating, library workers have been keeping their
communities up to date with current information through their social media
outlets. Oregon library workers are a resilient bunch and the Oregon
Library Association will do everything we can to support our colleagues as
we take on yet another 2020 challenge.

Kate Lasky
OLA President
olapresident at olaweb.org