[Libs-Or] Seeking title of a book

Rich Wandschneider rich.wandschneider at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 10:35:23 PDT 2020

Well--parts of your story are about Pam Royes' *Temperance Creek*. She was
a college student and he was a Vietnam vet, originally from nearby Cove in
Union County. Pam came out with some friends to do a backpack trip in Hells
Canyon.  And yes, there is kind of a 70s hippyish subtext; she had started
in N Dakota, taken off for a year on a grand hitch hike trip around the
country before rejoining her folks, who had moved to Ashland. She finished
high school there, and one of her friends had connections to the Wallowas.
So they hike into Hells Canyon and find Skip, horseback, squatting there
already for some time. Pam meets Skip, and off we go, herding sheep in
Hells Canyon, wintering over at Red's Horse Ranch, settling down with kids,
etc....

It is a great story--I got to blurb it, and said something like anyone who
was alive and aware in the late sixties, early seventies, knew people who
were doing outrageous things, joining communes, riding horseback across
country, writing the Old Fashioned Recipe Book in Idaho, etc. And maybe did
some of them ourselves--or were certainly tempted to.

By the way, it is also very well written. Published by legendary Jack
Shoemaker at Counterpoint. Again, the title is Temperance Creek (name of
the Hells Canyon sheep ranch they worked for)

good luck! Good reading!
rich

rich.wandschneider at gmail.com
josephylibrary.blogspot.com/