[Libs-Or] Funding and Wikipedia Edith-a-thon with the Network of the National Library of Medicine

Carolyn M Martin martinc4 at uw.edu
Thu Sep 24 08:21:47 PDT 2020

Hello Everyone,
The Network of the National Library of Medicine Pacific Northwest Region (NNLM PNR) has a funding announcement and an opportunity to participate in a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon. See below for more information.
COVID-19 Health Information Outreach Award
During the COVID-19 pandemic, communities have a greater need than ever for access to high-quality electronic information resources, and the NNLM PNR wants to help. The NNLM PNR is pleased to announce a Request for Proposals (RFP) for a *new* COVID-19 Health Information Outreach Award<https://nnlm.gov/pnr/funding/covid-19-health-information-outreach-award>. Network members in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington are eligible to receive up to $15,000 to pilot and/or develop programs that address community health needs resulting from the COVID-19 global pandemic. This award will cover costs for virtual or in-person programs and also tools and training to manage information overload or combat misinformation.  You can also propose to expand e-services and distance programming through enhanced technology such as mobile technologies; installing high speed or broadband access to the Internet in areas where Internet is not presently available; upgrading a slow dial-up Internet connection to a higher speed connection such as cable or broadband; or piloting a new distance learning software program or system.
At least five (5) COVID-19 Health Information Outreach Awards are available, and applications are due October 30, 2020. Eligible applicants must be from institutions that are members of the NNLM PNR. The period of performance for these awards is:  December 1, 2020 - April 30, 2021.
Note: if you plan to submit a proposal, please email a brief statement of intent no later than Friday, October 16. Please submit your statement of intent to apply to nnlm at uw.edu<mailto:nnlm at uw.edu>. We look forward to your ideas and hope to see proposals from all 5 states of the NNLM PNR, which includes AK, ID, MT, OR, and WA! If you have a question, please drop us a line (nnlm at uw.edu<mailto:nnlm at uw.edu>). We welcome all questions and input and look forward to funding your good ideas!
Wikipedia Edit-a-thon
Do you have an interest in reference services or health sciences librarianship? Do you search for health information online, or have you ever read a Wikipedia page about a health topic? On behalf of the Network of the National Library of Medicine, we would like to invite you to join us on October 29, 2020 from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. PT for a collaborative virtual Wikipedia editing event<https://nnlm.gov/class/citenlm-virtual-wikipedia-edit-thon/27233>. The NNLM<https://nnlm.gov/> hosts two #CiteNLM Wikipedia<https://nnlm.gov/national/guides/ccs/wikipedia-edit-thon> editing campaigns each year in which librarians and health professionals work together to improve health information on Wikipedia by adding references to trustworthy medical content. This fall we will be adding citations and content to Wikipedia articles related to maternal and child health. Even if you are not able to participate on October 29, you can still participate independently any time during the month of October. Learn more about the Fall 2020 #CiteNLM Wikipedia Edit-a-thon<https://nnlm.gov/national/guides/ccs/wikipedia-edit-thon> on our website or register for a free introductory training webinar<https://nnlm.gov/class/citenlm-wikipedia-edit-thon-training/27057> scheduled for Friday, September 25 at 11:00 a.m. PT. We are also want to encourage Library and Information Science (LIS) students to attend the October 29 editing event where you can meet practicing information professionals, network with LIS students from around the country, and learn the basics of Wikipedia editing.

Carolyn Martin, MLS, AHIP | Consumer Health Coordinator
NNLM Pacific Northwest Region
University of Washington Health Sciences Library
Box 357155
Seattle, WA 98195-7155
206-221-3449
martinc4 at uw.edu<mailto:martinc4 at uw.edu>