[Libs-Or] Wed. April 14th at noon: Intellectual Freedom Discussion - Dr. Seuss, "Ook and Gluk", and Library Policies/Practices

Miranda Doyle doylem at loswego.k12.or.us
Fri Apr 2 09:44:15 PDT 2021

You're invited!

Please fill out this sign-up form to get the Zoom link right before the
event and/or the recording afterwards.

https://forms.gle/VJ8pVAqDHL3LSGhr5

*Intellectual Freedom Discussion: Dr. Seuss, "Ook and Gluk", and Library
Policies/Practices*

*Wednesday, April 14, noon-1 pm (panel discussion will be recorded)*

Dr. Seuss’s estate announces that it will stop publishing 6 of his 48 books
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/books/dr-seuss-books.html>. Scholastic
and Dav Pilkey decide to discontinue "The Adventures of Ook and Gluk", a
Captain Underpants book
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/28/books/dav-pilkey-ook-gluk-racism.html>
because
of harmful racial stereotypes. How should librarians respond? How do we
address racism, stereotypes, censorship, public demand, the weeding
process, “cancel culture” and related issues? Are our weeding criteria
sufficient to remove racist books? Should we put them in “historical” or
“educational” collections instead? How can we be proactive rather than
reactive in curating library collections? Join us as a panel of school and
public librarians address these weighty and complex concerns, then
contribute to a group discussion about library policies and practices.

Thanks,

Miranda Doyle (she/her)
District Teacher-Librarian, LOSD
📚 🔍 Virtual Library