[Libs-Or] Save the Date! 10/1 Lecture on Building Community Archives

Elaine Hirsch elaineghirsch at lclark.edu
Tue Aug 24 13:55:22 PDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Please join us online Friday, October 1 at 3 PM for the 21st Johannah
Sherrer Memorial Lecture in Library Service, hosted by Aubrey R. Watzek
Library at Lewis & Clark College.

Collecting Representative History : Building Community Archives

Libraries and archives across the country are grappling with the problems
created by collection practices of the past. Most public, bureaucratic
records represent the histories of those in power who, until recently, have
been a relatively homogeneous group. The history of the nation, however, is
diverse. The Sherrer Lecture this year examines growing efforts in archives
across Oregon to build inclusive records that better represent the
disparate histories of this country. We will consider individual
institutions' recent collecting efforts designed to witness a robust range
of local histories. The types of collections they are creating are varied
and their approaches and techniques are innovative. The problems they face
are daunting. Our speakers will ask: How can we overcome disparities in
historic record keeping practices? Who can create community archives? What
approaches effectively produce relatively complete collections?

Panelists include Hannah Leah Crummé, Head of Special Collections and
College Archivist at Lewis & Clark College, Jennifer Fang, Director of
Education at the Japanese American Museum of Oregon, and Anne LaVant Prahl,
Curator of Collections at Oregon Jewish Museum and Center for Holocaust
Education.

A Zoom link will follow closer to the event date. Questions should be
directed to Elaine Hirsch at elaineghirsch at lclark.edu

Thank you for your continuing support of the Sherrer Memorial Lecture in
Library Service.

Elaine Hirsch

Associate Director

Watzek Library