[Libs-Or] You're invited: Teaching Truth and Trust in an Era of Digital Dissensus

Bridges, Laurie laurie.bridges at oregonstate.edu
Fri Jan 8 11:49:47 PST 2021

Please join us for the second 2020/2021 OSU Library Faculty Seminar Series presentation, Teaching Truth and Trust in an Era of Digital Dissensus delivered by Mike Caulfield, director of blended and networked learning at Washington State University Vancouver.

How do we design education for a world where information is plentiful, and attention is the scarcity? How do we encourage analysis and engagement in our students without having those same impulses gamed by bad actors? What epistemic stances and heuristics serve the public in a world where expertise is niche and very little is directly verifiable, and where facts are atomized, separated from analysis, and reassembled in bizarre and dangerous ways? Are conspiracy theorists and anti-maskers anti-fact? Are people doomed to confirmation bias and ideological bubbles? Or is there a deeper dynamic at play? If these or similar conundrums have arisen in the course of your teaching and scholarship, please join us.

Friday, January 29th, 10 a.m., Registration is required:  https://beav.es/Jw3

This event is co-sponsored by WSU Vancouver, OSU Writing Intensive Curriculum, the OSU School of Writing, Literature, and Film Writing Program, and the OSU Libraries Library Faculty Association Seminar Series.

Laurie Bridges
Instruction and Outreach Librarian / Associate Professor
Oregon State University