[Libs-Or] Over the Rainbow booklist announced

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Tue Jan 26 13:33:42 PST 2021

Hi all,

I had the pleasure of serving as vice-chair for the American Library Association Over the Rainbow committee this year, and I'll be chairing the committee in the coming year. I thought folks might enjoy seeing our top ten titles, as well as having a link to the book list. All of the titles included on the list were unanimously approved by the OTR committee.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 26, 2021

CHICAGO-The Over the Rainbow committee of ALA's Rainbow Roundtable gave careful consideration to 312 books this year.  We chose 29 fiction and poetry titles and 19 nonfiction titles to make up the complete 2021 Over the Rainbow book list.  The titles on this list all exhibit commendable literary quality and significant authentic LGBTQIA+ content.

In the books we reviewed, we were pleased to note the increased diversity of transgender, asexual, immigrant, and indigenous experiences.  Authors explored history and contemporary politics through new lenses, while we also saw innovations in formats -- including a cookbook.

The top ten fiction and nonfiction titles are:

  *   Ace: What Asexuality Reveals About Desire, Society, and the Meaning of Sex. Angela Chen. Beacon Press, 2020.
  *   Here for It: Or, How to Save Your Soul in America. R. Eric Thomas. Ballantine Books, 2020.
  *   A History of My Brief Body. Billy-Ray Belcourt. Two Dollar Radio, 2020.
  *   Homesick: Stories. Nino Cipri. Dzanc Books, 2019.
  *   Homie: Poems. Danez Smith. Graywolf Press, 2020.
  *   My Autobiography of Carson McCullers: A Memoir. Jenn Shapland. Tin House, 2020.
  *   Plain Bad Heroines. Emily M. Danforth. William Morrow, 2020.
  *   The Prettiest Star. Carter Sickels. Hub City Press, 2020.
  *   Real Life. Brandon Taylor. Riverhead, 2020.
  *   What's Your Pronoun?: Beyond He and She. Dennis Baron. Liveright, 2020.

Over the Rainbow Fiction and Poetry Longlist<https://www.glbtrt.ala.org/overtherainbow/archives/726>
Over the Rainbow Nonfiction Longlist<https://www.glbtrt.ala.org/overtherainbow/archives/727>

[dwsquare2]

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney
LIBRARY DIRECTOR
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101 Ste 201  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996-1251
E: kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org<mailto:kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org>  | W: driftwoodlib.org