[Libs-Or] UO Libraries Summer Newsletter 2021

Rick Stoddart stoddartrick at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 10:40:29 PDT 2021

Apologies -- it looks like some of the newsletter may have been cut off in the previous email -- hopefully, this email will include a corrected version.
I am pleased to share this recent newsletter from the University of Oregon Librarieshttps://mailchi.mp/uoregon/newsletterjune2021

|  |

|  |

| As I look ahead to retirement from UO Libraries at the end of June, it is easy to wax nostalgic about the past 35 years working in this excellent academic research library. Coming to UO Libraries right out of graduate school in mid-1980s, my career has provided a front row seat to the incredible changes that computer automation, the internet, the explosion of online information content, and ubiquitous wireless connectivity have wrought in society and in its libraries. The benefits to students, faculty, and the public are legion as the results of high-quality scholarship can be more widely and quickly shared. With such an abundance of freely available information, some have questioned the ongoing need for libraries and the services they provide.

As the following compilation of stories and news items attest, UO Libraries continues to add value to learning, instruction, and research enterprise at the University of Oregon. Far more than simply a portal to the riches of the internet, the library offers highly curated collections of primary and secondary literature to support teaching, learning, and research in every academic discipline. The library engages students and promotes their success through the provision of consultations, tutoring, workshops, and spaces that enrich the mind and offer the opportunity for silent reflection or group interaction. Advanced technology is available to apply science in a makerspace, visualize data, edit a film, record in a music studio, try out AR/VR equipment, and hold meetings with far flung participants.

Indeed, UO Libraries is a vibrant center for learning and research, and it will continue to serve at the heart of the academy. It is now my pleasure and privilege to pass the responsibility of stewarding this great resource to the next generation of leaders.

Go Ducks!
Mark Watson, Interim Dean of Libraries |

|  |

Carnegie Mellon Associate Dean Chosen to Lead UO Libraries
Dr. Alicia M. Salaz has been chosen as the UO’s new vice provost and university librarian, overseeing five library locations at the Eugene campus and branches at UO Portland and the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology. |

|  |

Math Homework Help Service Offers Hybrid Model Approach for Additional Support
Student employees of the Homework Help service offered via the UO Mathematics Library have offered both virtual and in-person options for UO students looking for additional guidance. Since fall term of 2020, student employees of the Mathematics Library have been offering a hybrid approach to their longstanding Homework Help program. With the University switching to primarily virtual learning amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Homework Help is now offered via Zoom and in-person on the third floor of Tykeson Hall. |

|  |

UO Libraries to Partner in Mellon Institute for Racial and Climate Justice
The University of Oregon Libraries is pleased to announce its role in the recently-announced $4.52 million grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for the Pacific Northwest Just Futures Institute for Racial and Climate Justice, the largest humanities award in UO history. UO Libraries will partner with UO faculty on two initiatives: The PNW Atlas of Essential Work and Sustaining Climate Justice and Health Through AfroIndigenous Healing. The latter project will continue a successful collaboration with Dr. Alaí Reyes-Santos and Dr. Ana Lara on Caribbean Women Healers Project: Decolonizing Knowledge Within Afro Indigenous Traditions, launched in spring 2020. |

|  |

Waterfall Sculpture Splashes Down in Price Science Commons
Over spring break, workers put the finishing touches on a permanent art installation in the Allan Price Science Commons and Research Library. Commissioned by the Oregon Arts Commission Percent for Art program, which allocates funds for art in public spaces, the piece titled “1116 Pages” celebrates our pool of knowledge. |

|  |

SCUA Offers User-friendly and Streamlined Discovery Tool for Individual Researchers
The University of Oregon Special Collections & University Archives (SCUA) has adopted an innovative web-spaced collection tool called ArchivesSpace, which will allow staff to easily update information about special collections, and researchers to browse across thousands of collections at once. |

|  |

UO GLAM Alliance Highlights Museum and Library Treasures
With the collaborative launch of their three newest digital projects, the University of Oregon Libraries and the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art recently marked the completion of the first phase of the UO GLAM Alliance. An acronym for “Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums,” the UO GLAM Alliance is a creative partnership advocated by the nonprofit Council on Library and Information Resources as a key strategy for advancing “hidden collections.” Library and museum leaders created the GLAM Alliance at the UO in 2016, and in 2018 secured funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

|  |
|  |

|  |
|  |

|  |
| Congratulations to the Class of 2021 from the University of Oregon Libraries!We are thrilled to recognize our graduating employees and celebrate all of your accomplishments throughout your time at UO. Thank you all for your hard work and dedication to the library—we can’t wait to see what you do in your future! Go Ducks! |

|  |
| Thank you to everyone who helped make Ducks Give 2021 a success! The UO Libraries raised $10,170 from 79 gifts, which also unlocked a generous $1,000 gift from Linda McCargar in memory of Prof. Thomas Hovet. These funds will go directly to digitizing the student newspaper the Daily Emerald as part of the
Oregon Digital Newspaper Program. |

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

| Copyright © 2021 University of Oregon Libraries, All rights reserved.

University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299

View this email in your browser.
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

The University of Oregon is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. This publication will be made available in accessible formats upon request. |

Rick StoddartPNLA Past-President https://pnla.org/

Chair - OLA Library Assessment Round Table (LART)Oregon Library Associationhttps://www.olaweb.org/

    On Friday, July 2, 2021, 10:29:34 AM PDT, Rick Stoddart via Libs-Or <libs-or at omls.oregon.gov> wrote:

> [...]

|  |
|  |

|  |
|  |

|  |
| Congratulations to the Class of 2021 from the University of Oregon Libraries!We are thrilled to recognize our graduating employees and celebrate all of your accomplishments throughout your time at UO. Thank you all for your hard work and dedication to the library—we can’t wait to see what you do in your future! Go Ducks! |

|  |
| Thank you to everyone who helped make Ducks Give 2021 a success! The UO Libraries raised $10,170 from 79 gifts, which also unlocked a generous $1,000 gift from Linda McCargar in memory of Prof. Thomas Hovet. These funds will go directly to digitizing the student newspaper the Daily Emerald as part of the

|  |  |

|  |
University of Oregon Libraries is on Instagram • 1,172 posts on their pr...

2,480 Followers, 524 Following, 1,172 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from University of Oregon Librarie...

Rick StoddartPNLA  Treasurer Past-President https://pnla.org/

Chair - OLA Library Assessment Round Table (LART)Oregon Library Associationhttps://www.olaweb.org/