[Libs-Or] Display challenge

Matthew Baiocchi mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org
Sat Jun 12 12:20:54 PDT 2021

Hi, Rachael,

Just the ramblings of a reference librarian on his day off, but this might be one way to approach it:

I might start by agreeing with them that it is a community library, and since there are people who are LGBTQ in the Douglas County community, it is important to make sure they feel welcome in the community library.

I'd continue with the fact that your library (at least based on the catalog searches I did) has materials on Islam, Christianity, atheism, the Vietnam War, white supremacy, Donald Trump, and Barack Obama, just to name a few potentially controversial subjects, and just because a subject is controversial in your community does not mean it isn't worth having materials on and promoting it in the library.

I might wrap it up with the fact that the library is a place for people to feel comfortable exploring ideas, all people with many different lifestyles and beliefs, and it is especially important for the library to reach out to groups of people who have been, historically speaking, mistreated and discriminated against.

I might add a little P.S. stating that the patron who wrote the letter doesn't need to subscribe to all the different beliefs found in all the different materials in the library, but that the Douglas County community has more than one point of view on people who are LGBTQ, and while the library would never demand that the author of the letter support people who are LGBTQ in their personal life, they need to understand that the library is there for the entire community, not just people with their beliefs.

Thought that P.S. section might be a little too snarky?

If none of this is helpful, you might be able to find some help through ALA here: https://www.ala.org/advocacy/diversity/librariesrespond/Services-LGBTQ or here: https://www.ala.org/rt/rrt. To get help from a more local source, I'm sure the good folks at the State Library of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/library/Pages/default.aspx and OLA: https://www.olaweb.org/  would be a big help, as they usually are.

Best of luck in dealing with this prickly situation!

Matthew Baiocchi
REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.557.1116  |  E: mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org<mailto:mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org>
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org