[Libs-Or] Display challenge

Mark KILLE mark.kille at multco.us
Sun Jun 13 12:10:33 PDT 2021

Folks will know best what they can get away with in their local settings, and I can’t and don’t wish to speak for all queer people. But here is what I personally wish the response would be:

“Thank you for your thoughtful message. Your concern for your neighbors and our community is admirable, and we always encourage people to actively engage with the library.

However, your concerns are not consistent with the experiences that LGBTQ+ individuals describe in their own lives. Further, you included several factually incorrect statements about medical care for transgender people and reproductive options available to people of all gender identities and sexual orientations.

Our library staff would be happy to connect you with reliable sources of information about these topics, since they are of interest to you.

Thank you again!”

Best,
Mark

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 12, 2021, at 3:33 PM, Donna Cohen via Libs-Or <libs-or at omls.oregon.gov> wrote:
>

> Very unfortunate, but not a total surprise, eh?
>
> I suggest you perhaps find a person or persons in the LGBTQ+ community [maybe even in the library LGBTQ+ community] willing to sit down and have a “get-to-know-each-other” chat. It’s been shown [research not at my finger-tips but would be glad to find] that personal contact changes peoples’ attitudes toward the LBGTQ+ community more than anything else.
>
> It can be offered to the person who wrote the letter. If she declines then you know her mind is closed; she not only has misperceptions, she wishes to hold on to them.
>
> I think the gesture itself would be a lesson to her. Just knowing someone is strong enough in themselves and their LGBTQ+ identity to be willing to have a civil conversation with her may put a small dent in her self-righteous views.
>
> Donna
>
> Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd
> Portland, Oregon
> 503-737-1425
> dcohen at hevanet.com
> Civics for Adults – and Others – Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire Political Engagement
> Webpage www.civicthinker.info
> Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/
> “My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not right, not just – stand up, say something, speak up!” Rep. John Lewis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY

[This email was encrypted for your privacy and security]