[Libs-Or] Unique job opportunity available at Washington County

Lisa Tattersall LisaT at wccls.org
Fri Mar 19 09:25:15 PDT 2021

Hello all,

The Washington County Elections Team is recruiting an Elections Supervisor. They specifically reached out to WCCLS to help get the word out about this posting to library workers in particular. Why us? Library workers have a deep commitment to democracy and public service, have a strong customer focus, and are used to operating in a high-volume environment. This is exactly what they’re looking for in an Elections Supervisor, it’s just that you’d be working to manage the flow of ballots instead of books! The Elections Department is looking for the right candidate, and can train on Elections Law (library staff are excellent learners and are used to dealing with policies and procedures).

Washington County is a great place to work. It’s evolving rapidly right now with the leadership of our new County Administrator Tanya Ange, and there are many opportunities to collaborate across the large organization to make things better for residents of Washington County. Leadership at the Assessment and Taxation Department (of which Elections is a part) is excellent. It would be wonderful to see a library worker lead the team in Elections!

I’ve attached the job posting, which will go live at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cowashingtonor tomorrow (Saturday, March 20). Here is the description of the position from the posting attached:

We invite you to be part of the fundamental process of a democracy and serve approximately 400,000 voters in Washington County. The responsibilities in this role includes running four annual elections: two countywide elections, one half-county election, and one quarter-county election. This position will require you to know and be responsible for tracking local, state, and federal candidates and positions, as well as money measures. Additionally, you will track the many facets of the elections process including candidate filings, creation of ballots and voter pamphlets, the counting of the ballots, and the reporting of final voter results for Washington County. The Elections office is highly driven by the many hands that help in the election process, the sophisticated elections equipment, the production elements of a successful election event, and the dedicated knowledge of supervision and understanding of Oregon Election laws and rules. We are seeking an individual who is savvy with production equipment and technology, while integrating continuous improvement processes, enjoys working with people of diverse backgrounds, and understands the capacities needed to supervise an immediate team of 9 employees.

In this position, you will lead and train staff/temporaries on election duties and coordinate day-to- day activities. Additionally, you will help plan and schedule all functions necessary in an election(i.e. mandatory timelines for various mailings, registration cutoffs, public notices, and all elements related to statutory dates). Most importantly, you will have the opportunity to communicate effectively, exercise sound decision-making and demonstrate collaboration and accountability to peers, the team and to the public.

If you enjoy being in a fast-paced environment that is production oriented, in a highly visible office and encompass the above-mentioned qualities and knowledge, then we invite you to apply for the Elections Supervisor position!

If you have any questions about the position or the recruitment, please reach out to jasmine_cardenas at co.washington.or.us<mailto:jasmine_cardenas at co.washington.or.us>. If you have questions about working at Washington County, please feel free to reach out to me. 😊

Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa Tattersall (she/her/hers)
Manager, Washington County Cooperative Library Services
lisat at wccls.org<mailto:lisat at wccls.org> | mobile: 503-388-0077