[Libs-Or] Call for Proposals: iYouth Spring Conference

Dana Garlinghouse dana.ghouse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 17:49:44 PDT 2021

Are you interested in the future of kids and teens in libraries? Come
connect with LIS students and share your knowledge and skills. iYouth--the
youth librarianship focused group of MLIS students at the University of
Washington’s iSchool--will be hosting the annual 2021 Spring Youth
Librarianship Conference VIRTUALLY on Friday, May 7th from 9:00 AM - 3:00
PM PDT and we would love to hear from you! The conference is soliciting
presentations from professionals and students interested in or working in
the field of youth librarianship.

Youth librarianship is rapidly changing in the face of COVID-19 closures.
It has pushed youth librarians to create programming in creative and
innovative ways, re-examine how our organizations can provide equitable
access, and develop practices that keep the safety of not only ourselves in
mind, but also the patrons that we serve.

We are most interested in accepting proposals that push the boundaries of
social justice, equity, and diversity in youth librarianship, and we would
love to hear presentations related to topics such as:

Libraries in Youth Detention Centers

Library Services to Youth Experiencing Homelessness

Outreach Programs for Underrepresented Groups

Diverse Employee Hiring and Retention in Youth Librarianship

Building Community Partnerships with Youth Organizations

Approaches to Virtual Programming

How to Get a Job in Youth Librarianship

Bookmobiles and Using Alternative Spaces for Library Services

Advocacy for Youth in Libraries

The Practical Experience of Being a Youth Librarian

Sharing #ownvoices BIPOC Books and Media in Library Programming

We will also be hosting a Q&A Panel and would love for you to consider
signing up if you are working in a youth services or teacher-librarian
position. This panel will last for one hour and will include questions from
the audience.

To sign up to present at the conference or to join the Q&A panel, please
fill out this Google form <https://tinyurl.com/iyouthconference21> by
Friday, April 2 and we will be in touch shortly. You can reach all iYouth
student officers at iyouthuw at uw.edu. Thank you so much for your interest
and consideration!

Dana Garlinghouse, OLA member

iYouth, University of Washington iSchool