[Libs-Or] Fwd: [REFORMANET] 11/17 webinar: Engaging Our Communities Through EDI Work: Our Perspectives

Max Macias max.macias at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 11:42:17 PST 2021

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michele A. L. Villagran <michele.villagran at sjsu.edu>
Date: Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 11:00 AM
Subject: [REFORMANET] 11/17 webinar: Engaging Our Communities Through EDI
Work: Our Perspectives
To: <REFORMANet at googlegroups.com>

Join us tomorrow!

*Engaging Our Communities Through EDI Work: Our Perspectives*

*Wednesday, November 17 at 9 AM PDT*

Zoom Link: https://sjsu.zoom.us/j/82868881853

*Presenters: Ray Pun & Patrice Green*

This session will share how two librarians engage their communities through
the values of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI). As the field of
librarianship continues to evolve, library workers have become more
cognizant of what it means to share authority and knowledge inside and
outside of their silos while working toward a more inclusive set of values.
Recognizing librarianship as more than internal, transactional exchanges
with limited audiences is essential to engaging in more reparative and
meaningful work with community partners. From special collections to
programming, both speakers will address the opportunities and challenges in
integrating EDI into their respective activities.

*[image: Ray Pun]Bio: **Ray Pun* is the Education/Outreach Manager at the
Hoover Institution Library & Archives, Stanford University. He holds a
Doctorate in Education, a Master of Library Science, and a Master of Arts
in East Asian Studies. His research interests focus on the impact of
digital exclusion and library advocacy work on communities of color. Ray
serves as a CIRI International Advisory Board Member for SJSU School of
Information. Most recently, he was a merit reviewer for the National
Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)'s broadband
connectivity programs to award over $1.5 billion dollars to enhance
national broadband goals and efforts.

*[image: Patrice R. Green]Bio:** Patrice R. Green* is the inaugural Curator
for African American Collections at Penn State University. She holds
master's degrees in Public History and Library and Information Science from
the University of South Carolina, where she focused her studies in museums
and material culture, archives and preservation management, historic
preservation, and 20th century US history. Her current research interests
include information literacy, information privilege, and Black feminist
theory. Green has served as an Emerging Leader with the American Library
Association and currently co-chairs the National Council on Public
History's Professional Development Committee.

*Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran *[image: A button with "Hear my name" text for
name playback in email signature]
<https://www.name-coach.com/michele-villagran>
Assistant Professor, School of Information
San José State University
http://ischool.sjsu.edu
michele.villagran at sjsu.edu
626-703-1903
faculty profile
<https://ischoolapps.sjsu.edu/facultypages/view.php?fac=villagranm> | pronouns:
she/her/hers <https://www.mypronouns.org/she-her>

[image: SJSU School of Information]

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/REFORMANet/CAPiMZioPw61Vom8o5M1CQTxGcV3%3DYopzr2DPtbOGuZVWE5c%2BAw%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/REFORMANet/CAPiMZioPw61Vom8o5M1CQTxGcV3%3DYopzr2DPtbOGuZVWE5c%2BAw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

--
-
Max Macias [image: A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in

Social media is mind control.

The ideas expressed in these emails in no way represent any organization's
viewpoints, or opinions.  The opinions, ideas and reflections are my own
personal intellectual property.

Publishing

Lowrider Librarian <http://lowriderlibrarian.blogspot.com/>
Librarians With Spines  <https://www.librarianswithspines.com/>