[Libs-Or] Four-part Workshop: Oral history and social justice

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Thu Sep 9 16:15:37 PDT 2021

Greetings,

Information on this four-part workshop just came across my inbox and I wanted to share it for those of you who might be interested:

Oral History and Social Justice, four sessions, 10:00a PT, Tuesdays: Sept 14, Sept 21, Sept 28, Oct 5
Registration link: https://forms.gle/5dpTkZXqpmnTxvLF7

This four part workshop will provide an overview of ways in which oral history projects may be a powerful tool for preserving and honoring the knowledge of marginalized communities in order to achieve social justice. Oral history helps us to understand the past as well as our present circumstances and can help us to understand how to change our conditions to shape a more just future. This workshop will examine how oral history projects may complement other forms of resistance such as community organizing and participatory action research.  Although primarily designed for folks interested in or already conducting oral history projects with community based organizations, this workshop is open to all.

Each workshop will be 45 minutes long, including a 30 minute presentation and 15 minute Q&A.

There will be homework!

For complete descriptions of each session and homework, please visit: https://continuingeducationi.blogspot.com/2021/07/oral-history-and-social-justice.html

Instructor
Lynn Lewis is a community organizer, oral historian, and educator.  She founded the Picture the Homeless Oral History Project with long time homeless leaders of the organization to document their struggle for human and civil rights, exploring what that history means to the homeless leaders who shaped it.  Their goal is to make the archive, interviews, and popular education materials publicly available to support homeless and poor folks organizing. Previously, Lynn worked at Picture the Homeless for 17 years.  Her primary interests are in the areas of civil rights, particularly ending discriminatory policing, as well as Community Land Trusts and the right to housing. She is the author of Love and Collective Resistance: Lessons from the Picture the Homeless Oral History Project. (Histoire sociale/Social history), currently consults with grass roots organizations and is an adjunct professor at The New School.  She has an MA in Oral History from Columbia University.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

[cid:image001.png at 01D7A593.96CF69F0]