[Libs-Or] Collection Development Policies & Racism

Riddle City Library riddlecitylibrary at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 07:54:28 PDT 2021

It seems we've lost the Freedom to Read policy in many of our libraries.
Why are we trying to dictate what people read? What happened to Banned
Books week? Are we moving backward here?  Let's stay open to ALL literature
instead of making it our job to remake the minds of people.. Are we overtly
harming children by banning racist fiction? Think carefully about this.
Rewriting or banning history and "harmful" literature is taking the Freedom
to Read from them. Instead, perhaps the solution is to encourage parents
and teachers to train their children to love and accept all races and
creeds. We, as educators, can have a tiny part in this process as well.
Promote love and good will and remain open minded to the freedoms we enjoy.
They are extremely valuable. Just as the freedom of speech is valuable as
well. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak freely my opinion. I
remain
Looking forward,
Rita Radford
Riddle City Library