[Libs-Or] OLA Author Showcase | Kenna Warsinske | Beyond HTTPS and the Cloud: Building a Safe and Secure Web Resource for DACA and Undocumented Students

OLA Communications Committee olacommunications at olaweb.org
Mon Apr 11 13:00:17 PDT 2022

Please download and read, “Beyond HTTPS and the Cloud: Building a Safe
and Secure Web Resource for DACA and Undocumented Students,” by Kenna
Warsinske, here:
https://journals3.oregondigital.org/olaq/article/view/vol27_iss1_7

>From Kenna’s article, “The Oregon State University (OSU) library got
involved in the university's effort to help DACA and undocumented
students. At the time, relevant resources were siloed across campus,
so it was difficult for students to know what resources were
available. Even advisors couldn't navigate the various systems. For
example, on the OSU website, the Admissions page and Student Legal
Services page both had relevant information, but they didn't refer
back to one another. To help resolve this problem, the library offered
to gather the resources distributed across campus for undocumented and
DACA students.

After the resources were collected, I was approached by one of the
librarians on the project to develop a more permanent technical
solution. I'm a website developer for the OSU Valley Library. Just
like most smaller libraries, the Valley Library relies on third-party
vendors for many services; however, my department also creates custom
web solutions for the library. Because this project required special
privacy and security provisions for this vulnerable student
population, the library opted for a custom solution.”

KENNA WARSINSKE (she/her) is an Analyst Programmer 2 (website
developer) for the Valley Library at Oregon State University. She also
volunteers to provide digital privacy and technical support for
activists and local politicians. Kenna built her very first website in
the small computer lab at her middle school library.

OLA Communications