[Libs-Or] Building capacity for program supporting low income tax filers

WEIBLE Arlene * SLO Arlene.WEIBLE at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Apr 18 09:10:14 PDT 2022

On the occasion of the official last day to file taxes this year, I wanted to draw the library community's attention to a grant program that was passed in the recent legislative session (HR 4117<https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2022R1/Measures/Overview/HB4117>) to provide funding to culturally specific and responsive organizations, tribal governments and under-resourced rural community service organizations to conduct outreach regarding federal earned income tax credits and other tax benefits and to provide tax navigation and preparation services to low-income Oregonians.

Staff at the Department of Human Services are now actively setting up this program and are looking for local community organizations that work to support tax navigation and preparation services across the state. They are seeking people to serve on the advisory committee for the project as well as potential programs that could receive grant funding.

Libraries will certainly benefit from having a stronger infrastructure of low-cost tax filing and preparation services. If you have any connections to groups in your area that may be interested in funding to create or expand services, please let me know and I can help make connections to the state staff working on this new initiative.

Thanks!

Arlene Weible, MLS (she/her/hers)
Electronic Services Consultant
Oregon Federal Regional Depository Coordinator
State Library of Oregon
arlene.weible at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us> | 503-378-5020 | http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries
Follow us: Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/StateLibraryOR/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/statelibraryor> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[State Library of Oregon Logo]