[Libs-Or] Thanks for these Goo gone alternatives and lessons learned

Karen Hill karenh at wccls.org
Mon Apr 25 15:02:36 PDT 2022

Thank you Library Community! I received several alternatives to Goo Gone which I listed below. I cannot vouch for any, so be sure to check ingredients.

  *   Un-du remover from Demco.  They have a regular and a VOC-compliant formula.
  *   BioKleen Citrus Soy Solvent.
  *   Rubbing alcohol (or even leftover hand sanitizer!)
  *   De-solv-it. Safety data sheet: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/420099.pdf.
  *   Lemon essential oil.  Blog post<https://scratchmommy.com/how-to-remove-sticky-label-residue-naturally/> with instructions.

Lessons learned!

  *   The offending chemical is d-Limonene. It can cause symptoms similar to a bee or nut allergy.
  *   The packaging is pretty subtle with its warnings.
  *   A bit of research found that some of these sticky removing products can:
     *   cause damage to organs and birth defects
     *   be highly flammable
     *   should be "stored locked up"
     *   should never touch the skin

BTW, does any library have a handy up-to-date SDS for common library supplies to share?

Thanks to all who shared,

Karen Hill, Director
Cornelius Public Library<https://www.ci.cornelius.or.us/library>
503-992-5381