[Libs-Or] News to Use: An Overview of OLA's Legislative Committee (LDLC)

OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Tue Feb 1 12:04:21 PST 2022

*News to Use: An Overview of OLA’s Library Development and Legislative
Committee (LDLC) - February 1, 2022*

Following the format of OLA’s Intellectual Freedom Committee Tuesday Topics
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/1>,
OLA’s Library Development and Legislative Committee (LDLC) is launching *News
to Use*, a series of email messages about policy and advocacy topics of
interest to the Oregon library community. We are launching the series with
an overview of the work of LDLC.

*What does the LDLC do?*

   - Establishes OLA’s legislative agenda by identifying issues of interest
   to libraries before the Oregon legislature and U.S. Congress and working to
   advocate for or against bills
   - Works with OLA Lobbyist to prepare hearing testimony and contact key
   legislators
   - Hosts “Legislative Day
   <http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/2>”
   events for members to learn about legislative issues and meet with
   legislators
   - Keep OLA members informed about legislative issues impacting Oregon
   libraries
   - Helps build capacity for librarians to better advocate for local
   government support

*What does this look like?*

In 2021, the LDLC helped OLA advocate for

   - Information literacy and library media program standards
   <http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/3>
   - On-time adoption of course materials for higher-education students
   <http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/4>
   - Ready to Read funding as included in proposed State Library budget
   <http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/5>
   - American Rescue Plan Act
   <http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/6>
funding
   for special districts and Building America's Libraries Act (BALA)
   <http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/7>

*Why is it important?*

   - In a frequently changing political climate, it can be hard to keep up
   with policy changes impacting libraries and know how to advocate
   effectively.
   - OLA membership dues help to pay for lobbying services, but our
   lobbyists need the advice of OLA LDLC to gain a good understanding of
   library issues and need to hear about real life experiences to help them
   tell the library story.
   - Paid lobbyists are part of OLA’s advocacy strategy, but we need our
   members' help to get the messages out to public officials who want to hear
   directly from those they represent.

*What is coming up in 2022?*

As part of its legislative agenda for 2022, OLA is supporting HB 4092
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/8>.
Section 6 of this bill establishes the Connecting Oregon Libraries Fund
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/9>,
a state E-rate fund to supplement federal E-rate funding. The state fund
would help maximize the discounts for internet connectivity and network
infrastructure currently available to eligible Oregon libraries. The LDLC
will provide more background information about E-rate funding in an
upcoming post.

*What can I do?*

The LDLC needs stories from libraries about broadband projects. These
stories will be incredibly helpful in our advocacy effort with legislators
as we talk about the benefits of having reliable, fast internet to meet
community need:

Do you have a broadband infrastructure project you’ve completed using
E-Rate?  If so, please share:

   - Your library address where the project took place,
   - A paragraph summary of the project (please include the benefit for
   library staff and the community at large),
   - The cost to complete the project, and
   - The E-Rate discount you received.

Do you have a broadband infrastructure project in mind? If so, please share:

   - Your library address where the project would take place,
   - A paragraph summary of the proposed project (please include an
   explanation for the need for the broadband upgrade to support staff and the
   community),
   - Your current broadband speeds,
   - An estimated cost to complete the project, if available, and
   - Any barriers to accessing E-Rate funds to help with the project you
   foresee.

*Please share your stories with LDLC co-chairs at ldlcchair at olaweb.org
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/10>*!
We can help get your story known by reaching out to your local legislators
about these projects.

*Who is on the Committee?*

The current list of members
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/11>
is
on the LDLC webpage

*Need more information?*

Contact LDLC Co-Chairs
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/10>
or
see the LDLC webpage
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/1601a8c6-ef93-43d7-b083-8bf9f93400ba/12>

--
Arlene Weible
Oregon Library Association President, 2021-2022
olapresident at olaweb.org