[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: GRAPHICS - Find Exact Color Codes with ColorPick Eyedropper

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Feb 8 15:24:55 PST 2022

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!

Having trouble reading this email?
You can view the tech tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/find-exact-color-codes-with-colorpick-eyedropper.html>, the communication tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/what-did-you-say-at-work.html>, and the leadership tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/what-footprint-will-you-leave.html> online instead at:
https://www.tech-talk.com/login/oregon

When prompted for a username and password, use ORLIBTECH for both.
Find the exact color code for images on your screen

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/93006bb8-92de-4f95-a686-5d396417790e.png]

[email]

Special Collection:
Making Friends with Email

Click HERE <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPsE8SPac8L_WyGEpSJ6HUNT3iccjOhgGACMbpHfi_DgCEmbHvZSYiuIsaNXEnsGpSJsdBsRfHEVZ9EZFpXH8X4_7Zvao4lZTuw8SesQ3Hw7F&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==> for articles on...
Email Etiquette
Reduce Spam
Cleaning Out Your Inbox
Creating Templates and more!

EXPLORE OUR FEBRUARY COLLECTION NOW!<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPsE8SPac8L_WyGEpSJ6HUNT3iccjOhgGACMbpHfi_DgCEmbHvZSYiuIsaNXEnsGpSJsdBsRfHEVZ9EZFpXH8X4_7Zvao4lZTuw8SesQ3Hw7F&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==>

Webinars for You

·     Feb 16: [Communication] The Art of Creating Surveys That Yield Useful Data [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·     Mar 9: [Word/G-Docs] Adding a Table of Contents in Word and Google Docs [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·     Mar 23: [Speaking] How to Speak With Confidence, Elicit Opinions and Respond Professionally [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

SEE WEBINAR DESCRIPTIONS & REGISTER<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPioXO4AlkFX8tIYr7_0b1QFcSPrm72DzWjYCVDxJO8cFyvqIQfYP5nuCGGfPV_tmMfIKoJUY_hRYcRheCoF3g8tTZqzq29XVvzoYaf_HKRdN&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==>

[video]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPn_4Ew03Ym839HAPEdPHkFyVnwCht2eSfvN7DtB7pGmTJGpRiEp-_yvEYEPnbTeL9bbk-pCxL7DCWCI8wNOzZ4lBS0-EJNiKBA59Hm0mMzrhnCoFoSaKF0QJ6-hfwYEDxZGzSivFy_GXGblAKNRhJtoLiuiwSWwMPf7vbBIkzycV&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==>

Photo by Nick Fewings<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPn_4Ew03Ym83Crew1vUClYoM6SjECugr58zNv81Dpa_qpd1E0lwZEZmpp7I9ZlhVEa71r-hK34YnDrdwANECDGSNnhHbHRulTFpRcDuKn-i8hDitmqen0TRFNcqzsKEW47dRQP3jFp4cg7bfZPDWVIfGF_aW-99FMfjlmzLiRFrvSMLsx3K9utJiqnz50108XIcXS1AKffTI8wk2_U6rMVU=&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==> on Unsplash<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPn_4Ew03Ym83OGor-ch3-yjwis_C1Mv9GWOzS_VrGNy-y3X2XAzby6t_UAId0sXg2ODBwFxDXYYz2BOs6XuJqCay6D-O9pM_lutDsEywVagJv5OHrzUw-AGQGryMdmcrHKjIEqGDf05JbnvOV-byD7Z_HlSNBMcmLrvZkJBm63rcSQg2FsB4uMvSNPdyOTyuupTiLAV3kJ8DCYChRoFf-Ll7kDx7y26-7Q==&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/e25f6bcf-26a8-4e59-91f2-cc248962042d.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPljtwBB6RCzzZ7oBzCIxMyrBN-AtWRPhim8YBIq9ceXOgnpj_tVzkbrzaE7Qr9UMBFRRlMzWYECh6MgjjEn-0YQ3nWos6N24aFrisY7qXa2-&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==>

GRAPHICS - Find Exact Color Codes with ColorPick Eyedropper
Intermediate

Have you ever found a color on a website page that you wanted to exactly match in a document or presentation? Or maybe you'd like to pull a complementary shade out of a picture to use in a heading font color?

[eyedropper]

The problem is ... how can you find the exact color code to use? Well, there are tools called "color pickers" or "eye droppers" that help you zero-in on the exact shade. They can give you the RGB and Hex codes to use in other places.

In case you're not familiar with these terms, HEX, along with its sister RGB, are languages to define and represent shades of colors. HEX is a 6- digit combination of numbers and/or letters, while RGB is the process of which Red, Green and Blue combine to make colors using three sets of numbers with a range of 0-255. For instance, in the Coca-Cola image, the shade of red in the logo in HEX is #e61d2b. In RGB it would be represented as Red 230, Green 29, Blue 43.

When you have the color codes you can do things like…

·     Match the right shades from a company logo so that you can be consistent with the brand guidelines.

·     Pull a color from an image on a website so that you can use it in a graphic you're creating in a different document.

Using a Color Picker makes it easy to find the exact color code of a particular item that you are viewing. This type of tool lets you simply mouse over an element on your screen and the software will reveal both the Hex and the RGB color numbers.

Now, there are many types of Color Pickers or Eyedroppers. For instance, PowerPoint has one built in. See how to use it here<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPn_4Ew03Ym83A1yW0Xc0fPQUNs2GQUmWSlr-6hZnV0D4Hgv_kUz4CG5-T1F-o6-PMOYW8N2j2hnE2kZR03xzF8dzx9GBF6MqomftBUUin-cVzpNC3TUeIEUi5UFHkP44yvlwjxuisXpHFdvLBiHv4_OHZbXJpREAtA==&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==>. And many graphics programs (like SnagIt) incorporate this tool as well.

But what if you're not a graphics designer and only need a tool like this occasionally?

Well, there is a free browser extension for Chrome that you can download and use anytime once activated. And did you know that Firefox also has a built-in tool all ready to use?

Get the ColorPick Eyedropper Extension for Chrome

First, you'll need to download the Extension in the browser. With a Chrome window open, go to this extension<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPn_4Ew03Ym83nvywsJwMJACeD_QjzaJ1aDGnyKpWoJ9tFHmXb9T67uJiFuhhG3kWNEMMgDYdfKthNL2E4mKZ4FyUWSebA3f2MgIuKuWnrmpoGB8_RLnxkGbMFkjU-zDUWs08YmpL20MtjjLtrsB6dM2OPaED6cW2J4flKhXnlbD9vo37OXxZvPKg7nupvqHoCA==&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==> in the Chrome webstore. Click the blue Add to Chrome button.

[colorpicker]

[chrome toolbar]

NOTE: If the ColorPick icon is not displayed in your Chrome toolbar, click the Extensions icon (looks like a puzzle piece), find the ColorPick tool in the list and click the push pin icon to add it.

How to Use the Chrome ColorPick Eyedropper

Open your Chrome browser and go to the website page where you want to detect a color code.

[colorpicker]

1.  Click the ColorPick Eyedropper in the toolbar to activate it and your mouse will turn into cross-hairs/plus sign. (NOTE: If the cross-hairs do not appear, the ColorPicker cannot be used on that particular page.)
2.  Move your cursor over the page to the area of the screen where the color is that you want to detect and click the mouse.
3.  The color code will be displayed. Copy the code to use in other applications.

TIP: Hit the Esc key to disengage the ColorPicker.

For example, in the image above, we wanted to find the Hex number for the blue shade in this website banner. With the ColorPicker, it shows the Hex value is #DB97D3 (it will always be 6 characters made up of numbers/letters). Or, if you need the color code as an RGB value, it would be 59, 151 211.

ColorPicker/Eyedropper in Mozilla Firefox

If Firefox is your main browser, there's actually a built-in Eyedropper ready-to-use.

Go to the page where you want to detect a color.

[eyedropper]

·     From the Firefox menu (in the upper right corner) click on the three horizontal bars, then select More Tools and Eyedropper from the menu.

·     The cursor will turn into a magnifying glass. Mouse over a select position on the page and under the magnifying glass it will show the color value.

·     Click to select the color and paste it into another application.

[eyedropper]

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/41d9a61c-7e5a-4de3-b0a4-4021dd05cea3.png]

Communications
What did you really say at work?

How professional are you at work? Is it important be at your best, always? What does it even mean to be "professional"? You could go off in so many tangents, right?

In this mini-series (a request from one of our readers), we've been touching on a few aspects of professionalism in the workplace. Today's thought bite is about what you say.

It's so easy to drop our guard when we're with our colleagues; people we see every day. We may say things that are inappropriate ... perhaps too casual, caustic or catty. We may feel so comfortable with our friends that we could slip into unprofessional conversation.

It's also tempting to spout off, or make a snide remark, when we're in challenging situations. Whether it's someone who has asked you for help and you think it's unnecessary or you catch an individual doing something that is not allowed ... and the sign is posted right there!

Choosing your words and voice tone takes a bit of effort at times. And that's what it means to be professional ... staying above the situation and carrying yourself as a calm, grounded individual.

Maybe professionalism at work means always showing your highest standard. It's displaying your firm, but kind demeanor so that everyone around you feels respected.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/da1c6ee9-ba35-4af5-9c80-8e1b5781189e.png]

Leadership
What footprint will you leave for others?

Every day we leave our footprint on others. By that, I don't mean we step on them, but rather we make an impression. Yes, even when we're minding our own business; doing our own thing.

We are all connected. That means that each thing you do, say, or think has the potential of making an impact on someone else. Sometimes it's large; other times it is less so.

Either way, that makes you a leader. People follow you ... whether you know it or not.

Most of the time you won't even be aware that it's happening. You could have said something that another has taken to heart ... and perhaps passed on to others. What you do creates a chain reaction.

Think back over your life. Can you remember a time when someone made a lasting impact on your life? Did they have any idea they were doing it?

What footprint do you want to leave ... on a daily basis?

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPsCBWQEWKuXty3077HyNJIY8EidHfaNZMsv-HL8G7HlPwwViv-bhJ3E3PYVTEr-t_qkMVuObFYHGRr9_lGWkB8_MvWHLTT0-8CRHEZLEpL9D&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==>
[Ask a question]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d_ruc3VQRzp9L7dvJ7ttyBwnHzGAXE2MRPxyMPdEWPnTcLDtLR3NPq34NnrviNmwEkBKy1bJatwQYPCwe_iih8cOBiBPe5xQptL_OqKZ8c3EtUBcv9Ts3d31ECYdNL0ggOUfzTiqr5yf2S1-BzxnQ4AHTfbkayg9l6FOMxOtOuY=&c=TxlP1DouehIMLhTr7H0s38WjhhhjnwqOWnDWHoI05y7uQvDYrfVhew==&ch=jbQQkv-0BvaO-1KWLZWF7j6u4PSJ4kUema40-ZVxAgmuQo-W81rLCQ==>

Copyright 1996-2022 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 941-355-2092.

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted
 [cid:image001.png at 01D81D00.0639B3C0]