[Libs-Or] About the Petition to the State Library of Oregon

OLA Past President olapastpresident at olaweb.org
Tue Feb 15 08:46:26 PST 2022

Hi Penny,

You bring up many points that I’d like to address, none less important than
the value we all share for equity in our profession. As the immediate past
president of OLA and a current member of the executive board, I see this
moment as an opportunity to build solidarity and reflect on our performance
as librarians.

At the February meeting, the OLA board
<https://www.olaweb.org/executive-board> voted to endorse the petition to
the State Library of Oregon to Break the Library Institutional Reliance on
Unpaid BIPOC Labor
<https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/break-the-library-institutional-reliance-on-unpaid>.
I voted “yes” to the endorsement and witnessed not only unanimous support
from the board, but echoed enthusiasm for the cause. Board members were not
coerced or intimidated into voting yes.

OLA updated its strategic plan in December 2020 to include a focus area to
actively commit to being an equitable, diverse, inclusive, and anti-racist
organization. This recent update was pivotal for the association and
reflects the organization’s initiative to improve diversity within OLA
through recruitment, retention, and support. This means that we agreed to
take action in support of librarians of color in our association and in the
field of librarianship.

The OLA EDI Antiracism Committee is made up of primarily black and brown
librarians who helped draft the petition and present it to the OLA board.
The OLA board did not edit the voice of the petition. I read the petition
thoroughly and voted to support the whole statement, including the name of
OLA’s president-elect, the first person of color to serve as Oregon Library
Association president.

The OLA board benefits from an excellent relationship with the State
Library of Oregon. We consulted with State Library leaders about the
petition. We agreed to hold this public dialogue to raise awareness
together. The OLA board and the State Library understand that any new or
temporary position in state government must be open and competitive.

The petition and the dialogue it created is a demonstration of the social
justice necessary to raise awareness about how to recruit, retain, and
support librarians of color.

I’m not sure there can be anything such as an “appropriate” petition that
addresses the need for social justice. Social justice is not a bureaucratic
process. New pathways must be forged. The petition represents a new way to
support librarians of color and the leaders they choose.

The petition illustrates the need for change. The request is authentic. It
doesn’t fit into the status quo because the status quo is the problem. This
is our opportunity to support our colleagues who are suffering and
demonstrate our solidarity as a community. I stand in support of my
colleagues of color.

Please take a closer look at this cause.

Kate Lasky

2022 Immediate Past President

Oregon Library Association