[Libs-Or] OLA Board - short response RE EDIA Petition Conversation

Emily Ford fordemily at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 15:40:23 PST 2022

Colleagues,

I am writing on behalf of the OLA Board in response to the continuing
conversation regarding the EDIA petition. By way of introduction, I
currently serve as the President of the Academic Division of OLA/ ACRL-OR,
and in that role I am also a voting OLA Board Member.

This past week has been painful for many members of the Oregon Library
community. The OLA Board <https://www.olaweb.org/executive-board> takes
seriously the conversations that have been occurring on this email list
regarding the EDIA petition, which the OLA Board endorsed. We recognize
that the email discussion on Libs-OR over the past week has been harmful to
members of the Oregon library community, and has called into question the
Board’s actions. We want to respond thoughtfully and compassionately. As
such, we are taking our time to formally respond to this discussion, but
assure you that each member of the OLA Board takes this conversation
seriously, and takes seriously the pain felt and harm caused as the
discussion on Libs-OR unfolded.

We hope to formally respond by the end of the week. In the meantime, should
you have any concerns, questions, or thoughts, please do not hesitate to
reach out.

Sincerely,

Emily Ford

ACRL-OR President on behalf of the OLA Board

forder at pdx.edu

acrlor at olaweb.org