[Libs-Or] Library Neutrality

stevesilver673 at gmail.com stevesilver673 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 16:45:58 PDT 2022

I've always understood it in the context of Ethics statements 6 and 7:

1.	We do not advance private interests at the expense of library users,
colleagues, or our employing institutions.
2.	We distinguish between our personal convictions and professional
duties and do not allow our personal beliefs to interfere with fair
representation of the aims of our institutions or the provision of access to
their information resources.

That is, we are neutral in terms of interjecting our personal views into
providing service to users.

There are other strong ethics (such as protecting intellectual freedom) that
are decidedly political, so I don't think political neutrality was ever the
intent of library neutrality.

As you point out in your question, there are many spheres in which
neutrality could be understood, and being very clear about which sphere(s)
we are talking when considering neutrality can, I believe, be a useful
nuance in those (very important) discussions. This is a good question to
raise and discuss.

Steve Silver