[NWDigitalProjects] Digital content preservation

JANSSON Kyle * OPRD Kyle.Jansson at oregon.gov
Mon Sep 14 08:57:57 PDT 2015

If you take digital material off the Internet, how do you maintain public access to the information? Or do you? Those questions are prompted by reading this article.
The Internet Is Failing The Website Preservation Test<http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/27/the-internet-is-failing-the-website-preservation-test/> (Techcrunch)
"The other day I was writing an article and I wanted to link to a piece I wrote when I was at CITEworld in 2013 - just two years ago. I went searching for it, but soon discovered that IDG, the publication's owners had taken the site down - and all of its content with it. While this was one small example, it illustrates the issues we have around content preservation on the internet."

Kyle Jansson
Oregon Heritage Commission
725 Summer St. NE, Suite C
Salem OR 97301-1266