[OLA-IF-News] Looking for ideas for speakers on intellectual freedom

Ross Betzer rossbk at multcolib.org
Sun Feb 25 17:40:36 PST 2018

Hi Clare!

In terms of sources for possible speakers, the ACLU of Oregon
<https://aclu-or.org/> is the first organization that comes to mind for me.
Another local group that might have ideas for speakers around your topic is
the Oregon Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts <https://www.oregonvla.org/>.

The National Coalition Against Censorship is a national organization which
does lots of work opposing censorship of all types, including visual art.
They've got a webpage about current visual art censorship issues
<http://ncac.org/issue/visual-art>, and another page with resources "For
Artists, Art Administrators and Curators
<http://ncac.org/resource/guidelines-for-state-arts-agencies-museums-university-galleries-and-performance-spaces>"
that look like they might be applicable to any organization hosting public
art.

Does anyone else have ideas about possible speakers related to hosting
contentious material in public spaces?

-Ross

*Ross BetzerLocal Resource/Catalog Librarian - Multnomah County
LibraryChair - Oregon Library Association Intellectual Freedom
Committeeifc.chair at olaweb.org <ifc.chair at olaweb.org>503.988.5728 (Sun, Mon,
Wed) / 503.988.5466 (Tue, Thu)My preferred pronouns are he/him/his*