[OLA-IF-News] ALA president Garcia-Febo responds to meeting rooms interpretation controversy

Steve Silver ssilver at nwcu.edu
Thu Jul 19 16:47:59 PDT 2018

ALA president Loida Garcia Febo post a short response to the meeting rooms interpretation controversy on ALA Connect. Full text of her post below:

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the ALA Executive Board I would like to extend our deepest gratitude to those who have expressed their concerns regarding current updates to ALA's Library Bill of Rights interpretations.

Our goal is to enhance the association's current Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI)  efforts, as well as develop responsive professional resources. We appreciate your comments and suggestions, all of which have played an invaluable role in our efforts to address your concerns.  A list of actions is forthcoming as we continue to listen to you … our library workers…our library advocates...our ALA.

In the meanwhile, I ask that you review a blog post [http://bit.ly/2zIYs8G] from Jody Gray, director, ALA's Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services, which beautifully captures how the voice of members and collaboration across offices and member groups, can and does fuel change.

Again,  thank you for your thoughts and patience as we continue to work to address this complex issue.

Best,

Loida

------------------------------
Loida Garcia-Febo