[OLA-IF-News] Display policies are not just needed in public libraries

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Tue May 7 13:40:11 PDT 2019

I've had some interesting conversations about this with a friend who's a museum curator. I think it's true that as librarians we're accustomed to offering information without comment/context, but I think sometimes this can spark issues. This isn't as much of a problem if, say, we do a display on "presidential elections" and include books both positive and critical of candidates, but in the case of displaying artwork, photographs, etc. people will come up with their own context if one isn't provided. The discussion my friend and I had was about the Aurora Public Library and the diplay of the poem "Hijab Means Jihad," and how the library could potentially have changed the way they displayed the poem to better contextualize it -- perhaps with a placard telling the public more about the display and its intended purpose -- and in that way they would have been better positioned to respond to criticism, even if the display still caused controversy.

I would love to have more details of the Doane University situation, given that the university's actions seem indefensible.

[LC-CircularLogo-Color-email]

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
LIBRARY DIRECTOR

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR