[OLA-IF-News] FW: IFRT News: Candidates & Calendars

Steve Silver ssilver at nwcu.edu
Wed Jan 22 10:09:43 PST 2020

[Intellectual   Freedom Round Table]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNDc/index.html>

January 20, 2020

View this email in your browser.<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNDg/index.html>

[ALA   Midwinter in Philadephia]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNDk/index.html>

Midwinter is approaching and we hope that next week you enjoy all of the many great presentations that will be available during that time. If your schedule permits, there are many great presentations and meetings with the central focus on intellectual freedom and combating censorship.

Find IFRT at ALA Midwinter<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNDk/index.html>

Meet IFRT’s 2020 Executive Board Candidates <http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTA/index.html>

[Meet IFRT's 2020 Executive Board Candidates]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTE/index.html>

In this blog post written by Andrea Puglisi, we decided to ask the nominees fun questions to get to know them! We asked them about their favorite banned book characters, what they enjoy about IFRT, and in the spirit of the new year and new decade we asked them about what new resolutions they had for intellectual freedom and librarianship!

Meet the candidates<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTA/index.html>

IFRT Bylaws - Understanding Your IFRT Ballot

[Proposed IFRT Bylaws Changes]

This coming ALA election cycle (March 2020) you will see multiple questions about some proposed changes to the bylaws of the Intellectual Freedom Round Table. These proposed changes are due in large part to deadline changes from the broader ALA organization creating ripple effects.

While the Bylaws & Organization Committee of IFRT was reviewing the bylaws to account for these new ALA deadlines they also found other parts of Article IV, Section 5 that could be clearer. The proposed changes are designed to make the entire section about the Nominating Committee easier to understand.

There are 5 items that will appear on the ballot to represent the 5 changes that were proposed. The five items you will see on the ballot are:

* Clarifying the responsibilities of IFRT's Nominating Committee regarding elections.

* Describing the responsibilities of IFRT's Executive Committee during the election.

* Elaborating on the nomination process.

* Omitting the deadline of January 15th from the IFRT Bylaws.

* Clarifying the process of how a candidate is elected in an IFRT election.

The current IFRT bylaws are available on the IFRT website at: ala.org/rt/ifrt/bylaws<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTI/index.html>. The Bylaws and Organization Committee<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTM/index.html> would be happy to answer questions!

View the specific revisions as they will be displayed on the ballot<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTQ/index.html>

Banned Authors Calendar<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTU/index.html>

[Banned Authors Calendar]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTY/index.html>

The 2020 IFRT calendar is for ALA members or anyone who is passionate about issues of censorship and intellectual freedom. The calendar includes a list of banned author birthdays and some important ALA IFRT dates, as well as an inspirational quote from one banned author for each month. Perfect for your desk or refrigerator, this calendar can help you keep track of your busy schedule in the new year and also serve as a reminder of the importance of our fight to preserve intellectual freedom.

Download the 2020 calendar for your home or office today!<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTU/index.html>

You Matter! Make Sure You Count!<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTc/index.html>

[Census 2020]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTg/index.html>

With the census rapidly approaching, it is critical to support the census by increasing self-response. We as librarians are aware of the importance of the census but we are also take into consideration the special challenges that our populations face. Lisa Hoover and Kristin Anderson share their experiences in working for the census and give tips to how you and your library can help and make sure your patrons’ voices are counted.

Read more<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTc/index.html>

[IFRT   Decals]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTk/index.html>

NEW!

Let the world know you love comics and support the freedom to read them! These colorful tech decals are a creative collaboration between the Graphic Novels and Comics Round Table, and the Intellectual Freedom Round Table. Attach them to your laptop, tablet or phone and proudly display your support of both round tables’ work.

Find them at Midwinter in the ALA Store<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNjA/index.html> or order them online<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNTk/index.html>. Only $6!

The IFRT Newsletter is compiled by the Publications and Communications Committee<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNjE/index.html>.

[Intellectual   Freedom Round Table]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNDc/index.html>

[ALA   Connect]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNjI/index.html>

[facebook]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNjM/index.html>

[linkedin]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNjQ/index.html>

#intellectualfreedom<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNjU/index.html>

[https://ala.informz.net/ala/data/images/IFRT/IFRT_Template/Purple-ALA.png?cb=52035]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNjc/index.html>

Click here to opt out of receiving IFRT emails.<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnU9MTAyNDAzMjE1OCZsaT03MzIwNTI2OSZsPWh0dHA6Ly9hbGEuaW5mb3Jtei5uZXQvYWxhL3BhZ2VzL0lGUlRfT3B0X091dF9MYW5kaW5nX1BhZ2VfS1A_X3pzPXE0UFNXMXxfem1pPXByU20/index.html>

American Library Association Privacy Policy<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNzI/index.html>

American Library Association, 50 East Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611

[Higher Logic]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MDcyMzUxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMjQwMzIxNTgmbGk9NzMyMDUyNzM/index.html>