[OLA-IF-News] What to Expect on Student Privacy for 2020 (inc. COPPA)

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Tue Jan 28 15:34:31 PST 2020

Hi,

I thought some of you might be interested in this article by Dian Schaffhauser from THE Journal called "What to Expect on Student Privacy for 2020<https://thejournal.com/articles/2020/01/27/what-to-expect-on-student-privacy-for-2020.aspx>."

Even though the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)<https://www.ftc.gov/> held a workshop last October<https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/events-calendar/future-coppa-rule-ftc-workshop> to examine "the future of the COPPA rule," we probably shouldn't expect any changes to it in 2020, according to the Future of Privacy Forum<https://fpf.org/>. In a December press briefing, Amelia Vance, the director of youth and education privacy projects, suggested that the process for updating the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act<https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/childrens-online-privacy-protection-rule>, which was legislated in 1998 and went into effect in 2000, could require more time to sort out than the current FTC commission has - depending on how the presidential election swings in November...

FYI,
Jen

Jen Maurer, MLS
School Library Consultant
jennifer.maurer at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us> | 503-378-5011 | www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>
[cid:image001.png at 01D348CF.6A72E0A0]