[OLA-IF-News] Fascinating book - highly recommended

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Thu Mar 26 16:10:56 PDT 2020

How is everyone holding up? I imagine most of us aren't spending a LOT of time thinking about intellectual freedom in the traditional sense right now, but I have been using some of my work-from-home time to catch up on some professional reading.

Last night I read a fascinating book specifically about freedom of speech on college and university campuses. The book is What Snowflakes Get Right: Free Speech, Truth, and Equality on Campus by Ulrich Baer. I definitely found points to quibble with the author on, but since it's the first book-length treatment on the intersection of freedom of speech and issues of diversity, equity, and equality I've come across, I really appreciated Baer's efforts to take the conversation there. His writing style is enjoyable and sometimes even funny, and he does a great job of putting current free speech debates into context. I think there's a lot here that will inform further conversations about public libraries and other limited public forums.

Anyone else read it? I'd be curious what you thought!

 [1529519400927_PastedImage]

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
LIBRARY DIRECTOR
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996.1251  |  E: kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org