[OLA-IF-News] Oregon legislature to consider banning display of nooses

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Thu Mar 4 10:30:37 PST 2021

I thought this article meshed nicely with our discussion yesterday during the IFC forum on hate speech and hate symbols. It will be interesting to see if this legislation passes and if it is challenged on speech grounds. I think the passage of other similar laws shows that symbols that are a direct threat are not legally protected.

Content note: this article contains graphic descriptions of lynchings.

https://apnews.com/article/oregon-bans-display-of-nooses-d46259c173d57c623b6f0c6ff443c3f1

[dwsquare2]

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney
LIBRARY DIRECTOR
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101 Ste 201  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996-1251
E: kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org<mailto:kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org>  | W: driftwoodlib.org