[Or-srp] Statistics to collect during your summer reading program

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu May 4 16:21:01 PDT 2017

Many of you requested that I send you a copy of the summer reading statics survey in the spring so you know what statistics to collect over the summer. A copy of the survey is attached so you know what statistics you'll be asked to report in September.

What do you need to know?

*         Only track and report the statistics that match the summer reading activities you implement. All public libraries may implement the summer reading program however they want. Don't worry about the questions on the attached survey that don't apply to your summer reading program.

*         The questions in the attached survey are very repetitive! That's because it's a "print" version of an electronic survey. When you take the survey online in September, you won't be asked all of these questions and it won't seem repetitive. The online survey has what are called dependencies. If you answer a particular question one way you get one set of follow-up questions, if you answer that question a different way you get a different set of follow-up questions. The attached survey includes all possible dependency questions.

Now what do you do?

*         Look at the attached survey and identify which statists match your summer reading program. These are things you're going to track over the summer and report to the State Library in September.

*         Plan how you are going to track these statistics during your summer reading program. Door counter, staff doing head counts, however works best for you with the tools you have.

*         Decide where you are going to document the statistics you decide to track. A notebook, Word document, Excel spreadsheet, piece of paper in a folder... wherever works for you with the tools you have!

*         If other staff and volunteers are going to help you track and document your statistics, then schedule a meeting to explain to other staff/volunteers what statistics to track, how to track them, and where to document them.

In September, I will send a link to the online version of the 2017 Summer Reading Statistics survey for you to fill out. I will use the statistics you report via the survey to create a report for the Oregon legislature, like the 2016 Summer Reading Brief<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/youthsvcs/srp.certificates/2016SRPBrief.pdf>, and provide them to the national Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). These reports are used to tell our state and federal funders how we spent their money and give them good reasons to keep funding summer reading in Oregon!

Thanks,
Katie

Katie Anderson
Youth Services Consultant