[Or-srp] Friday, January 29th Shout out to Stanfield and feeding kids

BERGQUIST Greta * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Jan 29 15:00:56 PST 2021

Hello everyone,

Happy Friday! I wanted to send a shout out today to Stanfield Public Library, serving a population of 2,700. They organized with their community to deliver over 7,500 meals to kids last summer<https://www.eastoregonian.com/coronavirus/stanfield-library-brings-thousands-of-meals-crafts-to-kids-throughout-pandemic/article_93403634-5dd6-11eb-b6e7-f771398d76dd.html>! We know hunger is an equity issue that disproportionately impacts communities of color, recent immigrants, and rural residents of our state. Partnering with your local summer meals site or operating as one yourself is a way to meet this pressing need while connecting families with opportunities for reading and playing together. Feed + read = Win-win!

To see what hunger looks like in your county, check out these county by county fact sheets<https://www.oregonhungertaskforce.org/county-fact-sheets> from the Oregon Hunger Task Force.

If your library is considering this, you can reach out to ODE<https://www.oregon.gov/ode/students-and-family/childnutrition/sfsp/Pages/default.aspx> or to Partners for a Hunger-free Oregon<https://oregonhunger.org/summer-food/> (e-mail and phone number for program manager Fatima Jawaid at this link) with questions. I've also cc'd teen librarian Aimee Meuchel here, as she would also love to tell you about the impact this is making in Tualatin.

Take good care and have a good weekend,

Greta

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
971-375-3549 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image003.png at 01D6F64F.8B4DA860]