[OYAN] 2011 Letters About Literature winners, runners-up, and honorable mentions

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Jun 6 11:29:26 PDT 2011

[lal.fullbanner.logo]         [booklogo]
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Katie Anderson
Coordinator, Oregon Center for the Book
503-378-2528

June 6, 2011

OREGON STUDENTS HONORED

Students from across the state of Oregon were honored at a celebration at the Oregon State Library on Monday April 18th at 4:00 p.m. for their winning entries in the 2011 Letters About Literature contest.

Oregon winners include: Level I First Place: Rachel Barnhart, Eugene; Level I Runner Up: Matt Lee, Eugene; Level I Honorable Mentions: Regan Magee, Portland; Julia Lee, Eugene; Ketaki Deuskar, Portland.  Level II First Place: Kayle Kelso, Vale; Level II Runner Up: Hannah Bates, Vale; Level II Honorable Mentions: Jessica Ban, Corbett; Jonathan Gilbreath, Roseburg; Amy Bond, Vale. Level III First Place: Allison Zhou, Lake Oswego; Level III Runner Up: Kelsi Gammon, Tigard; Level III Honorable Mentions; Cole Anderson, Bend. Also honored will be the sixty-two semi-finalists from around the state.

Letters About Literature is a national reading and writing promotion program of the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress, sponsored in partnership with Target Stores. Target, along with its parent company Target Corporation, gives back more than $2 million a week to its local communities through grants and special programs. Since opening its first store in 1962, Target has partnered with nonprofit organization, guests and team members to help meet community needs.

Local co-sponsors are the Oregon Center for the Book at the State Library, Oregon Library Association Children's Services Division and Young Adult Network, Oregon Association of School Libraries, and Oregon Reading Association. There were 902 contestants from Oregon and over 69,000 nationally.

Level I is open to students in grades 4 through 6, Level II to students in grades 7 and 8, and Level III to students in grades 9 through 12. Oregon judges selected a first place winner, runners-up and honorable mentions for each level. First Place winners each receive $100, Runners-Up receive $50, Honorable Mentions receive a $25 bookstore gift certificate and semi-finalists received a $10 bookstore gift card. Target Corporation, Oregon Library Association Children's Services Division and Young Adult Division, Oregon Association of School Libraries, and Oregon Reading Association provide the prizes. The semi-finalists and winners also receive a certificate from the Oregon Center for the Book.  The Oregon judges were: Level I: author Susan Fletcher, children's librarian Holly Campbell-Polivka, and school librarian Jan Peterson-Terjeson. Level II: author Nancy Osa, youth librarian Jackie Rose, and school librarian Emily Carlson. Level III: author Melody Carlson, young adult librarian Sheila Grier, and school librarian Jessica Lorentz-Smith.

###