[OYAN] Compilation - SRP prizes 2011

Hicks, Doris doris.hicks at cityofalbany.net
Tue Sep 20 14:59:32 PDT 2011

Thank you to all who sent me information about their YA SRP prizes.  We have such a huge variety of programs around Oregon!  Here is a compilation of the responses:

2011 YA SRP Prizes
Ledding Library (Milwaukie):
Here at Ledding Library, teens fill out a reading log - they have to
read 30 minutes a day for 20 days.  Once they complete the log, they get
to pick out a free paperback book (we get ours from the Scholastic
warehouse sale) and get a few coupons/free passes for local businesses.
They also get entered in our grand prize drawing for $25 gift cards to
the closest mall (we give out 10 grand prizes).  Along the way, they can
fill out book review slips for books they finish and we have weekly
prize drawings for $5 gift certificates to local businesses (we usually
draw about 5 names each week).
Jessalynn
**********************
Deschutes County:
After 3 hours of reading, teens can get a free paperback book.
As they play our game through the summer, the teens earn entries into a grand prize drawing-for the past few years we've been giving away a Flip video camera at each of our branches.
Hope this helps!
April Witteveen | 541.617.7079 | aprilw at deschuteslibrary.org<mailto:aprilw at deschuteslibrary.org>

3 hours of reading=free paperback book (plus random stuff: coupon for frozen yogurt, etc.)
Weekly drawing for another free book from all entrants
Grand prize drawing for one Flip video camera from all entrants
There was one grand prize per branch (six branches).
Josie Hanneman / 541.312.1088 / www.deschuteslibrary.org<http://www.deschuteslibrary.org>
*********************************
Newburg:
Donated prizes:
$100 cash  First Federal
2  $50 cash  Oregon First Community Credit Union
$50 gift card  Fred Meyer
Movie Pass (2 guests + 2 drinks)  Cameo Theatre
2  $10 cards  DownTime (gaming systems, pool tables, computers, arcade games)
4 $5 gift cards + beverage containers  Dutch Brothers
$25 gift certificate  Game On (resale video games & DVDs)

Purchased prizes:
Pool Party (up to 75 people for 1 hour at the pool for private event)  $85
DownTime Gaming party (7 people for 2 hrs, mini challenge w/ prizes, unlimited arcard play, etc)  $80
GPS Magellan eXplorist GC & geocaching book   ~approx. $175
2  $50 Powells gift cards (for Top Readers)
My program is a drawing format.  Every five completed requirements*(see below), they may turn in an entry ticket.  I had 233 registered, about 75 actively participated by turning in 286 entries.  They checked boxes for the prizes they were interested in on the back of the entry ticket.  I concentrate most of my money on prizes with one or two special summer events beyond my regular monthly programs.

 *Participate in this summer's reading program for youth entering 6th grade through 18 years of age for your chance to win CA$H or other great prizes!  The top reader automatically gets a gift card to Powell's Books as well as the chance to win the other prizes.
ITEMS SHOULD BE FROM THE CCRLS LIBRARY SYSTEM* &
APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR AGE/ABILITY LEVEL!

Each option below counts towards 1 of the 5 needed to complete an entry for the drawing of prizes (including $100 cash prize donated by First Federal and 2 $50 cash prizes donated by Oregon First Community Credit Union) at the end of Summer Reading.  You may complete as many entries as you like!
*        Read a book* (If you think your book is worth more than 1 option, come talk to K'Lyn.)  NOTE:  5 Graphic Novels count as 1 book option.
*        Read a book* AND watch its movie* (counts as 2 options, but you must do both!); list the book and the movie name on your entry card.
*        Listen to an audio book (on cd, tape, or downloadable).
*        Attend a YA event or create your own with permission from K'Lyn. (You may count up to 2 per entry card.)
*A library card is available for youth 18 yrs and younger at no cost to you.
K'Lyn Hann
 Teen & Technology Librarian
Newberg Public Library
503 E Hancock St,  Newberg, OR 97132
ph:  503.554.7732
 www.newberglibrary.org<http://www.newberglibrary.org/>

Tigard:
At Tigard, teens were required to read 15 hours to earn prizes. When they completed the reading goal they were given a book of their choice, a voucher for a Trailblazers ticket, a coupon for discounted ride bracelet at a local amusement park, and other do-dads. The were also entered to win our grand prizes (a Sony Bloggie digital camcorder) and a bag with books and a Barnes and Noble gift card.
Lisa N Elliott
Young Adult Librarian
Tigard Public Library<http://www.tigard-or.gov/library>
lisae at tigard-or.gov<mailto:lisae at tigard-or.gov>
503-718-2654
*************************************
Woodburn:
We had 5 types of Grand Prizes:
$25 gift certifcates for the Outlet Mall (4 winners)
$25 gift certifcates for Regal Cinemas (4 winners)
At Home Movie Night -- Scott Pilgrim DVD, Popcorn & Pop (1 winner)
Hunger Games series (1 winner)
Death Note series (1 winner)
 Secondary prizes were books, t-shirts, and miscellaneous small gifts such as gel pen sets, etc.
 To enter the drawing teens had to do three things off the reading activity sheet and fill out an entry form listing them.  They could choose which prize cannister to put their entries in, no limit to the number of entries they could earn.  At the End of the Summer Party, the entries were drawn for the grand Prizes.  The names left over went into the secondary prize drawing so everyone who put in an entry got some kind of prize.
 Oh, I forgot -- at the last minute we had a donation of three Holly Black books so they went as a single prize.  The Hunger Games and Death Note series were also donations.  The Friends of the Library paid for the gift certificates.
 Jeannie Rogers,  Woodburn Public Library   503-982-5260
***********************
Tualatin:
We give out a free book to each teen who reads for 20 hours.  Aimee Meuchel  Teen Services Librarian  City of Tualatin | Tualatin Public Library  18878 SW Martinazzi Avenue, Tualatin, OR 97062-7092 | (503) 691-3083 | www.ci.tualatin.or.us<http://www.ci.tualatin.or.us>
***************************************
Monmouth:
Our Teen Summer Reading Club works this way - they sign up (a statistical/informational gathering step) and get a book. The tracking part of their 'game' is a punch card with 8 potential punches. Each punch = 1 hr of reading. They also have the option of doing other things for their 'punch' (ie. read to someone else, attend a library program, read a library magazine, watch a dvd checked out from the library, volunteer, etc.) They are limited to one of each of these items per punch card. They can read the entire 8 hrs for each punch card if they so choose. They turn in completed cards (all honor system), and can turn in as many cards as they can complete. Each completed punch card (which has their name/phone/email on it) is an entry into the raffle drawing and also the grand prize drawing. The more cards they complete the better their chances of winning.

In past years I have done all the raffle prize drawings during the last week of the program,  followed by the grand prize drawing after the end of the program. I've also done it where I've drawn a couple cards a week for each week for the raffle prize drawings. It's mostly a function of my time as to how I do the raffle prizes (I am the Youth Services Dept. and I've got a whole lot going on in the summer - ie. this summer, during our 6 week program I put on 32 programs for just over 2000 participants).

As for prizes, I provide the book they get at sign-up and I usually buy 3-4 of the theme t-shirts, 3-4 of the Upstart Teen incentive items like the coffee/beverage cup/containers, and I use donated items like coupons from Dutch Bros., Big Town Hero, Subway, and other local food places, Bi-Mart gift cards, etc. for the raffle prizes. I purchase the Grand Prize, which has been a Flip video camera (or Flip-like, depending on prices). The most I've spent on a grand prize is a little over $100. I got a 4-hr Flip HD video camera from Amazon.com for $75 (& free shipping) this year!
 Krist Obrist, Youth Services Librarian
Monmouth Public Library
168 Ecols St. S.
Monmouth, OR 97361
kobrist at ci.monmouth.or.us<mailto:kobrist at ci.monmouth.or.us>
503.751.0182
***************************
Multnomah:
Three rounds of the game, laid out as a path:
First two rounds (12 hours of reading) enabled teens to select from coupons, books or toys.

 *   Third round (another 12 hours) = Prize t-shirt or they could select another prize from the coupons, books & toys.  They also get to enter the grand prize drawing for a trip for 4 to Great Wolf Lodge or the teen runner up prize of a $250 gift card to the store of their choice.
 *   A fourth "Bonus Round" lets them put a bookplate with their name on it into any library book.
Books were randomly purchased from Scholastic.  Coupons were provided as inkind donations by various merchants/groups such as the Oregon Childrens Theater, Hot Lips Pizza, Portland Parks & Recreation Swim passes, Mio Gelato, and etc.  A small amount of toys (jump ropes, beach balls, alien putty, masks, etc.) were also available.
The Library Foundation does the fundraising for us to find sponsors to underwrite the t-shirts, books and toys.
Susan
****************************
Lincoln City:

20 hours equals a t-shirt

25 hours equals a free book (upick from the cart) each hour read equals a coupon for a prize drawing once a week from local businesses- all coupons go into big jar for grand prizes (ie: shop at the mall $25.00, blow a glass float $65.00) I have wonderful volunteer library Friends that go to businesses to ask for prize donations with a letter explaining what etc.

Teena Nelson

Driftwood Public Library

Lincoln City, OR
*****************************
North Bend:
At North Bend, kids and teens earn increasingly nicer prize bags as they
accumulate hours of reading time.

The YA program is separate from the kids, and the prizes are different.
The teens often don't care about the prize bags -- what they like are the
extra entries to the YA Grand Prize Drawing, where the prizes are all cash.
Only 43 teens picked up reading records, but there were bagfuls of entries
in the grand prize drawing.

The YA reading record has a square to fill in for each hour of reading time.
At 4, 10, 16, and 24 hours there's a prize bag that includes some small
prizes from the summer reading cooperative catalog, plus an ever-increasing
number of entries to the grand prize drawing. (Teens can also enter the grand
prize drawing once each day, no reading required.)

This year the prize bags were as follows:
4 hours: a baggie with 2 You are Here bookmarks, 2 YAH tattoos, and 4 entry forms
10 hours: baggie with the YAH pencil and sticky pad, an earth eraser, and 6 entry forms
16 hours: baggie with a YAH magnetic bookmark, compass clip, 2 fast food erasers,
and 8 entry forms
24 hours: YAH drawstring bookbag with tennis shoe key chain, YAH lanyard, 2 YAH
buttons,  a coupon for a Papa Murphy mini pizza, a coupon for a paperback book from
a local used book store, a ticket to the library swim, and 10 entry forms. (The bookstore
belongs to my husband. Hardly anyone redeems the coupon, year after year.)

The grand prize drawing had one $50 cash prize, one $30, one $20, and three consolation
prizes of the YAH water bottle and a coupon for a paperback book.

I've been doing this for over 20 years, but it took me a long time to find out that our teens
like cash better than anything else. Next year we're having more cash prizes, and fewer
prizes in the incentive bags.
Sara B. Simpkins   sbsimpkins at hotmail.com
Children's Librarian North Bend Public Library
1800 Sherman Avenue
North Bend, Oregon 97459
Stayton:
At Stayton we had raffles every two weeks. So each book they read was a raffle ticket (a slip they filled out with the book information and prize number they wanted). We stored all our prizes in a display case each had a number. The prizes got better as the weeks went on. I've attached a list of the prizes for all three raffles that we did. We did not have them be present, but called them after the drawing. Most kids came in right away to pick them up.
Heydi Smith   Stayton Public Library  smithx100 at yahoo.com<mailto:smithx100 at yahoo.com>
*******************
Albany
Young adults picked up a reading log/calendar to mark days when they read, starting June 1st and ending August 31st.  Prizes were:
10 days - Little Caesar's Crazy Bread coupon, a paperback book of their choice, a cookie coupon from the Wine Depot, and a college scholarship entry form.
25 days - a book bag, Trailblazer ticket coupon, Blueberry Meadows coupon (free U-Pick blueberries), and a coupon for a free hour of bowling or a free swim at the Cool! Pool.
50 days - a coupon for a Dairy Queen Royal Treat and teen's choice of: 1 hardback book or 2 paperbacks, or a science kit (models to assemble of brain or skeleton, optical illusions, magic tricks, or electric sound kits,  gyroscopes, and pet tornadoes), or a $5.00 Starbuck's coupon
75 days - teen's choice of 1 $10.00 I-Tunes card or 1 hardback book or 2 paperbacks, or a science kit, or a $5.00 Starbuck's coupon
92 days (only possible if you signed up on June 1st and read every day) - teen's choice of any 2 different prizes, as supplies lasted.  Final day to pick up prizes was September 4.

Books came from donations to our Friends of the Library store.  Coupons were donated, except for Starbucks and I-Tunes, which we purchased with FOL funds.  Gyroscopes and science kits were purchased wholesale from Tedco Toys, and cost less than $5.00 each.  Bowling coupons were donated by the bowling alley, but we had to pay for each kid who swam at the Cool! Pool (city-owned outdoor aquatic park).

We had 393 young adults register for the program, and 165 of them picked up a prize for reading 25 days.  This is the first year that our Children's and Young Adults' Summer Reading Programs counted days of reading instead of hours. When we counted hours, some kids finished the program and picked up their last prize by the end of June.  When we counted days, the program lasted all summer, encouraging the kids to keep reading and to keep visiting the library.

Doris Hicks
Albany (Oregon) Public Library
Young Adult Services
Spanish Language Services
541-791-0015

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is a public record of the City of Albany and is subject to the State of Oregon Retention Schedule and may be subject to public disclosure under the Oregon Public Records Law. This e-mail, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please send a reply e-mail to let the sender know of the error and destroy all copies of the original message.