[OYAN] Who in Schools Should Know About LearningExpress Library?

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Tue Nov 27 17:16:33 PST 2012

Please pardon the cross posting, but if you reach out to the K12 community, you might find this helpful.

Right after the OASL Fall Conference, I asked for feedback about how you spread the word about LearningExpress Library (LEL). I only heard back from one person: I have made a PowerPoint explaining how Learning Express/oslis works and what is offered. We show this to our students in their Advisory sessions. I also hand out the Learning Express bookmarks as well as a bookmark I made that has the oslis information on it. Great ideas!

I think the lack of responses may be reflective of a few conditions. One, we're all busy. (I get that, but please try to schedule some time for this. We've had it for about two years now.) Two, LearningExpress Library is very different from periodicals databases like Gale, which makes some hesitant to tackle it. (I get that, too. Know that there are tutorials and webinars.) Three, LEL covers A LOT of bases, and it can be overwhelming to know who to target when promoting it in your school or district.

I understand number three, too, and that's the focus of this email. Here are some ideas about who to tell about LEL and why.

AP Teachers

·         LearningExpress Library has AP practice exams for biology, calculus, chemistry, English language and composition, English literature and composition, European history, U.S. government, and U.S. history.

·         There are two practice exams per section per subject area.

·         Check out the learning center called College Preparation for more resources.

Math Teachers

·         LEL has eBooks, eTests, and some eCourses to develop basic and advanced math skills.

·         There are resources related to algebra, data analysis, geometry, statistics, trigonometry, and more.

·         There are some tools to help students pass grade-level math tests.

·         Explore the math areas under these four learning centers: Elementary School, Middle School, High School, and College Students.

Language Arts Teachers

·         LEL has eBooks, eTests, and some eCourses to develop reading, writing, vocabulary, grammar, and spelling skills.

·         There are some tools to help students pass grade-level reading tests.

·         Explore the language arts areas under these four learning centers: Elementary School, Middle School, High School, and College Students.

Technology Teachers

·         LearningExpress Library offers courses to learn several Adobe (like Photoshop) and Microsoft (like Excel) applications as well as to better understand Windows and Mac operating systems.

·         Multiple versions are covered, and many cover multiple ability levels (basic, intermediate, or advanced).

Counselors

·         College Bound: These resources are for students and parents of students trying to get into college.

o   Admissions Tests

§  LEL has practice tests for PSAT/NMSQT, SAT, and ACT.

·         This includes areas like critical reading, math, and writing.

·         The writing portions of many tests can be machine-scored.

o   Other College-Bound Resources

§  eBooks about test-taking skills improvement

§  eBooks about writing college admissions essays

§  College placement preparation tools for ACCUPLACER, ASSET, and COMPASS

o   Check out the learning center called College Preparation for more resources.

·         GED: Do your counselors help students who previously dropped out of school?

o   LEL has GED practice exams, preparation courses for various subject areas, and general skills improvement tools.

o   A few practice tests and an eBook are available in Spanish.

o   Check out the learning center called GED Preparation for more resources.

·         Careers: Counselors help students explore careers and prepare for career exams.

o   LEL has practice versions of career exams ranging from air traffic controller to plumbing and from cosmetology to teaching.

o   There are eBooks to support some career exploration or skill development, from Math for the Trades to Best Green Careers.

o   Check out the learning center called Jobs & Careers as well as Job Search & Workplace Skills for more resources.

·         Job Search & Workplace Skills: Counselors help some students who are looking for jobs, now or after graduating.

o   Is workplace writing a problem? Take a business writing course.

o   Explore eBooks about finding jobs, courses about interviewing, and resources to help craft resumes and cover letters.

o   Check out the learning center called Job Search & Workplace Skills for more resources.

I didn't even touch on everything that LEL covers, but I don't want to overwhelm. (Too late, you say?! Sorry!) :)

Think about the timing of the contact. For example, if AP tests are in April, approach those teachers at least two months in advance so everyone has time to take advantage of the resources.

Once you get folks interested, they might want to know about creating accounts and accessing tutorials and webinars. See the email below for that information.

Questions? Please ask.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer