[OYAN] Does your collection truly reflect youth in your community?

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Jun 25 16:23:11 PDT 2013

Posted on behalf of J.F.

My kids are in the Portland Public Schools which is using Courageous Conversations as a strategy to deconstruct and change institutional racism in the schools.

Here's an explanation of the PPS Equity Initiative  http://www.pps.k12.or.us/equity-initiative/

At my kids' school they have spent the last year training staff and teachers and just began parent trainings this spring. I believe that Courageous Conversations was developed for schools, but I think that staff trainings in libraries could be very helpful.

 Courageous Conversations About Race: A Field Guide to Achieving Equity in Schools by Glenn E. Singleton (the book) http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/189-7916960-8471208?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=courageous+conversations

 Courageous Conversations Summit -October 2013
http://www.summitforcourageousconversation.com/home/

This is all very exciting!