[OYAN] Teen Read Week: Take a minute to help raise awareness about teen literacy & libraries!

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Oct 8 08:32:29 PDT 2013

ALA's Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) is asking us to take a minute to raise awareness about the important role libraries play in teen literacy. (I am not familiar with Thunder Clap and, even with one little oops on my part, it still literally took me about one minute!)

Here is the message from YASLA, I've highlighted the instructions if you want to help raise awareness too.

In conjunction with Teen Read Week, YALSA has created an online campaign to raise awareness of the important role libraries play in helping teens develop and master critical literacy skills.  We need your help in getting the word out about it!  We are using a platform called Thunderclap to flood Twitter and Facebook with our 'take action to support teen literacy & libraries' message.  The Thunderclap allows people to pledge a Twitter, Tumblr or Facebook message that is unleashed at the same time.  It's completely safe and will automatically post exactly one message on your behalf at 1pm, eastern, on Oct. 19.  The message has been pre-created by YALSA and says: "Teen Read Week is ur chance 2 support teen #literacy & #libraries! Check out these 10 easy ways 2 take action! http://ow.ly/pBXXy"

It takes 10 seconds to join the Thunderclap so you can send out the message-here's how:
*             Click on this link http://thndr.it/GJ9MSd
*             Choose Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr
*             From the new screen, log into your Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr account
*             That's it!  You can opt to share the Thunderclap with others (please do!), or just close the box

Please sign up for the Thunderclap by no later than noon, eastern, on Oct. 19th.  To learn more about Teen Read Week, visit www.ala.org/teenread<http://www.ala.org/teenread>.  Thanks for all that you do to help raise awareness about the important role libraries play in preparing teens for life after school!

P.S. To learn about other ways you can support library services for teens, visit www.ala.org/yalsa/advocacy<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/advocacy>

Beth Yoke, CAE
Executive Director
Young Adult Library Services Association
50 E. Huron St. Chicago, IL 60611
1.800.545.2433 x4391
fax: 312.280.5276
byoke at ala.org<mailto:byoke at ala.org>
@yalsa_director

[cid:image006.png at 01CEC400.26A402D0]
Pick up your 2014 summer reading manual<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/oregon.srp.certificate.aspx#Summer_Reading_Manuals_> and get science programming training at
OLA's Children's Services Division's fall workshop<https://ola.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mc&view=mc&mcid=form_149058>
Saturday, October 19, 2013 at Tigard Public Library