[OYAN] Fun resource for librarians & educators with materials covering lots of topics for preK-college

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Oct 11 09:06:36 PDT 2013

I just learned about the following online resource. I haven't explored it fully, but did look at a couple resources and thought many of you might find this valuable. This website has resources for PreK- college level! I clicked on 'Grade Levels' and searched that way. Here is what I found and how I thought it may be useful to librarians:

  *   The Little Mermaid: Transformation<http://opb.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/PBSFA11.arts.dan.cdc.transform/the-little-mermaid-transformation/>: Fractured fairy tales are popular with teens right now. This 4 min sort-of dark interpretative dance of the Little Mermaid might be great to add to a program where teens are watching their favorite old Disney movies and get them talking about different interpretations of stories or include in a book club or book talk about Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama.
  *   Rome's Colosseum<http://opb.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/bb09.res.vid.colosseum/romes-colosseum/>: A 30 sec video of the Colosseum in modern day with cars whizzing by and joggers, no dialog, but how cool would it be to show this video when doing a book talk, book club, or program related to Italy, Rome, ancient times, or other related topics to expand world knowledge and motivate teens?
  *   Teaching Vocabulary in Primary<http://opb.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/cheatl.plr.primvocab/teaching-vocabulary-in-primary/>: At 1 min 55 secs, we learn that research shows kids need to see a word seven times before they can retain it and that at-risk children need to see it at least 21 times. While the teacher doesn't explicitly say this, the whole 5 min video implies that kids not only need to see the word, but also talk about it and hear it used in a variety of contexts with their peers and adults. This might be a good mention to parents coming to the library looking for books and resources to help their child develop their vocabulary or reading comprehension

PBS Learning Media
http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/<https://scout.wisc.edu/archives/g3554>

The PBS LearningMedia site is a fun resource for educators with materials covering everything from women's literature to current events. Visitors can click on the Browse PBS Learning Media area to look around for resources by grade levels, subjects, standards, and collections. Returning visitors should peruse the New Features area where they can find helpful fact sheets, activities, and instructional resources that deal with cyberlearning in STEM disciplines, the art and science of growing food, or middle school literacy. As a side note, visitors will need to create a free account after viewing three resources. One great highlight here is the Daily News Story section. This timely news collection offers daily resources from PBS's NewsHour program designed specifically for students.