[OYAN] Lost Book Fines - Alternative High Schools

Kathleen Hill HILL_KATHLEEN at salkeiz.k12.or.us
Tue Aug 12 16:41:18 PDT 2014

Hi Everyone,

I teach at a small alternative high school. Half of my high school services teen moms and the other half is an early college program.  When it comes to collecting fines for lost or damaged books, we are not allowed to hold grades, diplomas, or transcripts.

In a comprehensive high school, you could restrict proms, ball games, yearbooks, etc. until the students pay for their lost books. We have no sports, no proms, no extra activities to speak of, so nothing to restrict.  At the end of the year, I have a contest in which the first homerooms to clear all of their book fines and obligations get donuts. That doesn't help with some students.

Have any of you found an effective way of encouraging students to pay?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this.

Kathleen Hill